Chapter 33 - White Christmas

Lydia POV

I didn't feel like getting up for Christmas. For the first time in my life, I wasn't excited at all. We had finished the first search yesterday and I only knew it was a matter of time before they searched the other side and Liv was found.

Luke was apparently desperate to do the second search today yet my Uncle Felix said no, saying that the searches alone would likely not prove anything and one day wouldn't make much of a difference. Although it was tempting to be selfish and let her be found so I could have her back in the castle, I knew I had to do something to stop the search, even if it was only for a day. That way, I could find a way to warn them before the search. They wouldn't find out before it was too late and they wouldn't be able to escape.

"Uncle Felix?" I knock on the door to my uncle's office.

"Lydia," he smiles at me, "is everything okay?"

Although the men in my family were cold at times, especially my father and uncles, their family came first before anything, and they were constantly checking up on us "kids" to make sure we were okay with Olivia gone. They also didn't want any of us to go missing, so they were ten times more protective than usual. Even Luke was showing a softer side at times.

"It's about the searches," I replied, "can we leave tomorrow's search to the day after? It's only a day's difference."

"Why?" He eyes me suspiciously.

I had to choose my words carefully. He was a living lie detector and I was possibly the world's worst liar. Maybe there was a way I could convince him without lying. If I did this wrong Olivia and Logan would be found and it would be my fault.

"Everyone's just so caught up in all of it we can't spend time as a family anymore," I sniffle.

He sighs, "Lydia-"

"And now Olivia's gone no one's happy. Just two days, please Uncle Felix," I frown. I wasn't lying. I really was upset about our family but I was just using it to my advantage.

"Lydia, I'm afraid I can't-"

"Theo doesn't even talk to me anymore because he's so caught up in all of this," I pretend to cry, "maybe if we had another day he'd be nicer."

He sighs, clearly fed up with my crying, "fine, but that's it. The twenty seventh of December is when we do the search of the other side."

I nod, continuing to wipe the tears, "thank you."

"I'm serious Lydia, we can't afford to waste any more time," he says sternly, "and I will be telling everyone this was your idea. I don't cave in easily but given the circumstances I understand."

No way did that work.

I hurriedly exit the room before he changes his mind. Now all I had to do was find a way to tell Olivia about the searches. I decided to visit Jessica and ask her for advice on how to contact her. I didn't want to rely on leaving a note at the wall, she most likely wouldn't see it.

"Lydia, where are you going?" I hear the voice of my father just as I am about to leave the castle.

"To visit a friend, I-"

"Don't be silly, it's Christmas," he gently pulls me away from the door, "you can see your friend any other day."

I sighed frustratedly, knowing arguing against him was useless.

"I thought you were so excited to spend today with all of us and now you want to leave?" He chuckles. I simply shake my head and my father leaves me in the hallway.

"Lydia?" I hear Luke's voice call as he hurries towards me, "what's this about changing the search date? Don't you realise how important this is?"

"I know how important it is to you Luke, but I think we all need I break."

He shakes his head vigorously, "no. This isn't the time for breaks. Christmas or no Christmas."

"It's only one day," I say.

"Lydia, Olivia's gone!"

"I know, but you need to calm down. After tomorrow I promise you'll have all the help you need," I try and calm him down.

He opens his mouth slightly but then shuts it, not quite knowing what to say.

"Just, come on," he finally leads me in the direction of the rest of our family, "let's try and have a nice Christmas."

"That's what she would have wanted," I smile at him and he nods.

Olivia POV

"I know we agreed not to get each other anything, but-"

"Logan!" I scold him, "I told you I didn't want you to waste money! You're enough."

"Let me finish," he pushes my shoulders to sit my down on the small sofa, "I've had this a while, I promise. I saw it, and it made me think of you and I wasn't sure why until the next time I saw you."

He holds up a necklace with a small green heart, "it's the same green as your eyes."

I giggle, "that's cute, thank you."

We took a careful walk around and enjoyed the snow, barely anyone was out seeing as it was Christmas. It was an amazing day, and I could barely keep my eyes off of him.

It was around midnight and I couldn't sleep at all. We had agreed to wake up in five hours and I was so nervous. I continued to fiddle with the necklace around my neck. I sat up and walked to the bathroom, splashing some cold water on my face. Logan says we're going to be okay. I trust him.

We would sneak out and escape through the wall. We would wait a day for them to do the search and then return to this side tomorrow night. I hadn't actually managed to contact Jessica. I knew she stayed at her parents' house for a while during Christmas so I had a feeling her house would be empty.

"Just incase you need to come back," she told me, "there's a key in the plant pot in the back garden to the house."

She had been so good to me and I felt bad for staying in her home, but I knew she wouldn't mind. I tried my hardest to go to sleep, my mind not seeming to calm down.

"Wake up, pretty girl," I feel a hand rub my back gently, and I realised that I had fallen asleep.

I give him a tight hug and he instantly returns it, "what's wrong?"

I take a deep breath, "I'm just really nervous."

"I know," he pulls away, tucking a piece of hair on my face behind my ear, "I promise you you'll be okay."

"Thank you," I smile.

"I've always told you nothing bad will happen so long as you're with me, right?" He asks and I nod, "then trust me."

"I trust you," I whisper, he takes my hand and we prepare to leave. I was exhausted from my lack of sleep but the adrenaline kept me awake.

I put on my coat and he hugs me from behind, kissing my neck, "I love you, Olivia Maxwell."