Chapter 8 - Hold Your Breath

Olivia POV

"Olivia!" My best friend Jessica hugs me tightly as she greets me at the front door of her house.

"Hey," I say, struggling a bit from how tightly she's hugging me.

"Oh, sorry! It's just- I missed you!" She leads me inside and I sit down on her sofa.

"I missed you too," I smile widely.

"I can't believe you're so royal now, princess Olivia," she jokes.

She examines my outfit- a floor length dress which is quite slim, not like my usual puffier dresses. Yet, of course, it still looks overly prim and proper.

"Ugh, don't remind me," I laugh, "I'm practically already twenty-one the way Uncle Felix trains Luke and I."

Jessica, and basically everyone else in the kingdom knew the importance of our twenty-first birthday.

"Hope you're not too important for me now," she laughs, but I can tell part of her means it.

"Of course not. I know it's been a while, but you're still my best friend. Even when I wasn't a princess princess," I smile.

"I know," she smiles back.

I hadn't seen my best friend in nearly five months now, which is a long time, at least for us. I had just been so busy I had no free time anymore.

It was currently Tuesday, and on Friday of this week was the day I had been dreading. The meeting with the Daltons. Uncle Felix had explained that, in order to keep the rest of the world from turning into a complete "wasteland", they held meetings every year or two- whenever they saw fit.

There are actually two walls. One surrounding both kingdoms in what can't really be described as a shape. This cuts off the outside world from where the war was really bad. Then there's a wall that cuts right down the middle to separate our two kingdoms. Our kingdoms are much, much bigger than it would be expected. They go on for miles and miles but the villages are still all close together for practicality reasons.

Years ago, we started getting reports of really bad smells coming from outside the main wall, that surrounds both of us. It was suspected that things were rotting and the land had to be cleaned up. It's still not happened exactly- Uncle Felix said something about financial issues. He's hoping to make some progress which I think is why he's bringing us along.

Me, of course, as I am the oldest it is necessary that I learn how to deal with these situations so he decide that once I was eighteen I could come. This is the first meeting since I turned eighteen, so I should've saw it coming.

Also, two other family members from all of us "children" must be there with me to represent us. Not that there's a shortage of Maxwells. I explain to Jessica everything- including Logan Dalton.

"That's quite a situation you've got yourself into, princess," she takes a sip of her coffee.

"Tell me about it," I groan, "what should I do?"

"I'm not exactly the best person to ask about this you know," she sighs.

"Yes you are! You've been dating Zack for over four years now!" I say.

Zack knew Jess and I when we all went to the local school. There are about six or seven in total I think, since it's such a huge area.

We went to school when my family and I still lived undercover in the village. Well, not really undercover. Everyone still knew who we were but our enemies didn't. The war was just so bad we could stay in the castle. It's still really bad, but we don't have a choice now our parents are gone and we're getting older.