Chapter 25 - Adrenaline

Olivia POV

Soon after, I was sent back to the castle. I'm not sure what confidential things they didn't want me to hear, but a little part of me was sad to go. I had planned to wait behind and sneakily tell Logan to follow me somewhere else so I could speak to him but Uncle Felix only had to say the word "out" and I was back in the castle.

I find myself wandering over to the gardens outside the castle. We had requested that my parents be buried outside the castle so my brothers and I could visit them often. I knelt in front of the grave, staring at the many flowers and cards that people had put there. I noticed one from my brothers and I that we had put there a few years ago on my mother's birthday.

I smiled, it's still here. Cute. I sighed, rubbing my eyes, "now's not a good time to be getting upset," I whispered to myself.

I smiled again, putting my hand on a flower and whispering, "I love you."

Would they be proud that I've finally found someone that makes me happy?

"Liv, are you okay?" I see Lydia rushing towards me and I nod, wondering how she found me so quickly.

"Good, because something bad happened," she regains her energy and pulls me towards the castle.

"Lyd, what are you-"

"A guard was set to follow us without us knowing! I heard him talking to Uncle Leo! He saw us at the wall!" She exclaims.

"What? Who else knows?" My jaw drops.

"No one, I-" she pauses, "I took care of it."

Usually I would laugh at how cryptic she was being, but this was serious, "what? How?"

"You have to understand, both of our lives would be over if he told them!" She begins to cry.

"Lydia, what did you do?"

"I threatened him. Told him I would tell my father he hurt us if he ever told anyone," she looks at the floor, "I had to, Olivia!"

"Lydia!" I gasp, "where is he now?"

"He resigned," she whispers, "I feel so bad."

"It's okay, let's just go to my room," I tell her and she nods.

We make our way up the many flights of stairs to my bedroom. I pause, seeing a figure sitting on the chair at my desk, "Theo?"

"Lydia, get out," he commands, "I need to talk to Olivia."

"But I-"

"It's fine," I whisper to her and push her out the door, sensing that my cousin meant business.

"What's up?" I ask nervously under his stare. His entire demeanour had shifted.

"I came up to check on you. I opened the door and came in to check you were okay," he stands up, "I found this on the floor."

He stands up and walks over to me, shoving something into my hand. I look down at a crumpled piece of paper and my heart stops.

Sorry about making you faint, pretty girl. Hope we can do it again, minus the fainting, of course.

"How did you get this?" I croak out, my mouth suddenly becoming very dry.

"Like I said, it was on the floor," he says, his voice still eerily calm.

But I put it in my pocket! I reach into my dress pocket, finding it empty, no! It must have fallen out!

"I'm only going to ask you once. What's going on, Olivia?" He asks and I try my hardest to avoid eye contact.

"It's a very old note, I've had it for years," I tell him quietly as he continues to stare at me.

"Then why keep it?" He asks, clearly not believing my excuse.

"Olivia, are you in here darling?" My grandmother knocks on the door gently.

I quickly grab the note out of Theo's hand before he can react and whisper to him, "I promise I'll tell you later. Just please don't tell anyone. Please, Theo."

He simply stares at me while I run towards my door, I'll have time to think of a good excuse now.

"Yeah?" I force a smile at my grandmother as Theo walks towards us.

"Oh, Theo, I've been looking for you too. Felix wants us all down at the Centre Building. He says it's urgent," she says and my eyes widen. Is it about the bombs?

"Of course," Theo says from behind me and our grandmother takes off down the hall.

"After this we'll talk. If you don't tell me the truth I'm telling them all," he warns, "I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt. Don't let me down."

I nod, my hands shaking nervously. Theo and I head down in silence. I felt bad for keeping things from him, or maybe it was just because I got caught. We find the room empty apart from my twin, who is sitting in a chair reading something.

Luke glances at us when we enter, "took you long enough."

"What's wrong with you?" I ask, folding my arms and raising my eyebrows.

He rubs his forehead, "there's only so much Dalton I can put up with in a day."

I swallow nervously, great, he probably hates him even more. There goes my plan to get him to like Logan in an ideal world.

"Where are they? I thought this was urgent," Theo asks, his tone much lighter than when he spoke to me before.

Luke laughs, "they went off with the Daltons to talk about something even I'm apparently not allowed to hear," he rolls his eyes.

I raise my eyebrows, "what are they hiding from us?"

He shrugs, "Uncle Felix said they'll be back soon to talk to us. He wanted you two to be here before making any big decisions."

"Is this about the bombs?" I ask and he nods.

"The guy we questioned is guilty. I know for a fact. Even you said yourself that he was wearing the same symbol as-" he pauses, "the other people."

"Are all the Daltons here?" Theo asks, making Luke flinch.

"I've only saw a few," he quickly replies.

"Well, I'm going to go for a walk while we wait," I sigh and exit the room, "maybe then you two will be in a decent mood."

Why is Luke so mean now? When I was kidnapped he was genuinely worried for me but now it's as if he doesn't even care about me. I guess he's just stressed.

A familiar shade of blonde catches my eye. I take a few steps back and peer into the small window on top of a door. I see Logan and his sister along with another unfamiliar boy with caramel brown hair. Suddenly, Logan sees me at the window with wide eyes. He is the only one facing the door, so the other two can't see me.

I motion him to not say anything. He looks at me one last time before standing up and I see him say something to the other two who nod. I move to the side of the door quickly to let him out.

"Logan-" I begin.

"Shh-" he grabs my arm gently, "not here."

I nod, my voice changing to a whisper, "should we go somewhere else?"

He smiles, evidently relieved to see me, "you remember that room we met in a while ago? On the second floor?"

I smile and nod.

"Follow me," he whispers, grabbing my hand and pulling me in the direction of the stairs.

The adrenaline of sneaking around with him was pumping through my veins, and I couldn't help but get a little thrill out of what we were doing.

I knew there was a high chance we could get caught, with basically all our relatives here but I loved being with him.