Chapter 32 - December

Logan POV

"You alright?"

I had no idea how late into the night it was. The extremely heavy rain was bouncing off of the roof of the small log cabin and there was thunder in the distance. A smaller form was cuddled into me, and I could feel her squeezing my arm tightly.

"Yeah," she whispers and nods, "can you close the window?"

I lift myself out of bed and gently close the window, the sound of rain becoming more muffled. Lying down again, I pulled her body back against mine and could feel her heart racing in her chest.

"Are you sure? Is it the thunder?" I ask quietly, reaching down for her hand and squeezing it.

"No, I actually find it kind of relaxing," she giggles a little, "I'm just thinking about stuff."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

She shakes her head, "no, it's okay."

"Well, technically tomorrow's Christmas," I smile, kissing her forehead, "how about you think about that?"

"Thank you," I hear her whisper quietly, feeling her voice vibrate against my chest.

"What for?" I study her face in the dark.

"Everything. You've done so much for me," she cuddles into me tighter.

"Of course," I kiss her forehead again.

After a while of stroking her hair, I eventually hear her breathing become heavier and realise that she is sleeping. When I'm sure she won't wake up, I pry her arms from around my waist, get dressed and quietly go outside, walking to the front of the inn and through the main doors. Luckily there was no one at the main desk, but I knew a certain someone would still be awake.

"About time you showed up here, I'm going to have a fucking heart attack!"

There he is.

"Oh, hey Ryan," I greet him, feeling slightly amused at his panic, "I would've saw you earlier but we had kind of a scare with the guards and-"

"Not in here! Get outside," he shoves me out the door and I laugh as he closes it behind us, leaving us outside. There was shelter above our heads from the main doors so we weren't soaked by the rain

"Seriously Logan, there's something I have to tell you."

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"They're apparently doing full searches of both sides of the wall. They think you've both been kidnapped by some organisation or whatever," he explains.

Ryan and his family were very powerful on this side and had connections with the royal family, one of the main reasons I knew him. He wasn't spoiled though, he was actually one of the nicest guys I had met. I knew I could trust him. His father usually showed up at meetings on our side, and even some times the Centre Building meetings with both families.

"Yeah, apparently there's this organisation that hates the royal families," I can't help but laugh at the stupidity of it all, "they're all freaking out over it. Searches, though. That's a problem. You mean like, people's houses and stuff?"

He nods, "they're doing one side at a time. They're doing the other side today, but waiting until after Christmas to do this side."

"Why not just both sides at the same time?" I question, "that's a bit stupid."

"Apparently they all want to do both searches so that if something happens-" he trails off,
"but they're all really fired up. Guards are everywhere. It seems like they're set on finding the two of you."

"It was to be expected," I shrug, "I guess we'll have to leave the morning of the search."

"No way! You have to leave now!" He exclaims, "I've never seen so many guards in the streets before and it'll be even worse then!"

"Ryan, relax, we'll be fine," I dismiss his concerns, "it's Christmas, after all. On the morning of the search we'll leave really early and-"

Where would we go?

"I'm not sure exactly what to do, though," he frowns deeply, "do you have a plan? I mean, we have the other houses but that was only if you had to move. Moving won't really do any good in this case."

"I know," I nod.

I thought for a moment before getting an idea, "what if we went to the other side for a day? Olivia said she has a friend that would keep us hidden if she had to. We could go late at night when no one's around."

"Good idea," Ryan's eyes light up.

"They'll have the Centre Building heavily guarded because they think it's the only way through to the other side, but we could go through the wall."

"You'd have to be really careful, though. Even late at night there'll have to be lots of guards around anyway. Especially with the searches and all," he frowns.

I shake my head, "we've been out late at night here before, it's much quieter."

"It sure is busy tonight, though, with Christmas and all, and it's not the same on both sides. You don't know what you're heading into. I know you can do it, but it'll be tricky. Just be careful," he warns.

"We will," I nod solemnly, "thank you."

"You should probably tell her soon," he nods towards the cabin, "they're starting the search on her side in a few hours."

A few hours? How late is it?

"Yeah. Thanks, Ryan," I thank him again and we say goodbye.

I prepared to run through the rain, before realising it had stopped. Instead, small flakes of snow were beginning to fall through the sky, visible by the street lights. I smiled to myself, I had always loved when it snowed on Christmas. Well, I loved snow in general but there was always something special about it around this time of year.

I notice Liv still sleeping soundly and sit next to her. She wakes up and tiredly rubs her eyes.

"I don't want to get up yet," she groans into her pillow and I laugh.

"Don't worry, it's still late," I push her back down, "go back to sleep."

"Wait, where were you?" Her eyes open a little more as she feels my damp hair.

She pulls me beside her and we lie comfortably. "Liv," I whisper to her, "there's something you should know."

"What is it?" She asks worriedly, "did something bad happen?"

"Don't worry, it's just they're doing searches of both sides of the wall to try and find us," I tuck a piece of hair behind her ear.

She nods, "I thought something like that would happen. What are we going to do?"

"Well, they're doing your side today and are waiting until the day after Christmas to do this one," I tell her, "I don't think it's public knowledge yet, but Ryan found out through his father probably."

I explain to her the plan of changing sides and she gasps, "Jessica would definitely let us stay with her for a few days- but do you really think we could do that? Won't there be loads of guards?"

"If we go really late there probably won't. Listen, we only need to stay until the searches are over, then that night we'll sneak back over here. Ryan's got us covered anyway- my parents trust him. He'll tell them all that this place is empty. Even if they search it they'll find nothing anyway," I explain. There was nothing that could give us away.

"But what if it doesn't work?" She frowns.

"Stop worrying," I kiss her, "go to sleep. It's almost Christmas."