↳ 42: THE DATING GAMES

EVERYTHING WAS UNEVENTFUL UP UNTIL the time the sorting hat sorted the brand new first years. And then, the first dinner of school year 1977 to 1978 began.

          Sirius, as always, was the first to take servings. Remus only rolled his eyes as Sirius swatted his hand away so he could take first scoop of the mash potatoes. Peter settled on pigging out the assorted vegetables — which was very un-Peter like.

         "Since when did you like vegetables, Pete?" Freya asked from in front of the mousy boy. Sirius, from beside her, looked up at him as well in question.

         Peter looked like a murderer caught in action. His cheeks flared red and he stammered, "I kind of need to watch my weight."

         Sirius almost choked, "For what?" Freya elbowed him for laughing.

         "Just... stuff," said Peter. Freya only shrugged while Sirius shook his head amusedly.

         "Hey there, little ones," Marlene plopped beside Freya's other side, a piece of biscuit between her teeth. "How are we all?"

         "We saw each other on the train, Marlene," Freya pointed though regrettably amused. "And I thought you were with Alice and Frank?"

         "I refuse to be a third wheel," Marlene shuddered then finishing up her biscuit.

         "You'll be a fifth wheel here though," Peter said. It was pretty evident he was glad from the change of topic. "Me and Remus are third and fourth."

         "I'll take wheeling from Sirius and Freya better than Alice and Frank," said Marlene. "They don't talk about Herbology."

         The group shared a laughter. Then, Freya asked, "How about Mary, then?"

         "She's a prefect," shrugged Marlene.

         Freya gasped slightly. "Really? No wonder we weren't with her on the train. That's good for her."

         Sirius and Peter exchanged amused glances and then started stifling their laughter. The two girls looked at them, eyebrows risen. "What's funny?" Freya asked.

         "Well, a certain someone is kind of pissed —"

         "Huge understatement," grumbled Remus.

         "— that James was chosen for Head Boy this year. And that that someone had been a prefect since fifth year and now he didn't even get to be a prefect." Sirius finished, smirking at a scowling Remus.

         "Mary's better, eh?" Peter followed, jokingly nudging Remus who was sat next to him.

         "Wait, James is Head Boy?" Marlene asked, her eyes growing big like golf balls. Freya almost reacted but then remembered that she shouldn't show any care.

         "Same reaction every time," Sirius chuckled, shaking his head. He picked up a toothpick and started picking his teeth — Freya didn't even noticed he already finished a plate full. "But yeah, mom and dad were ecstatic when he got the badge. I bet Evans' parent's were as well."

          "Lily's Head Girl?" it was Freya's turn to ask in surprise and genuine happiness for her best friend. But before anyone could answer, Freya's eyes unconsciously went to the door and the two being talked about just entered.

          They were holding hands.

          Unconsciously, Freya held Sirius' hand as well.