↳ 18: TOP O' THE MORNIN'

UNSURPRISINGLY, JAMES ENDED UP SLEEPING with Freya. Surprisingly, he woke up early. So, when Freya woke at 8A.M., James was already gone. It brought disappointment yet relief in her at the same time. She didn't want for James' parents to catch them.

          Freya did her morning routine — take a shower and brush her teeth, she was thankful the guest room provided for her had its own bathroom. She decided to go with a turtleneck and a skirt and some boots, to at least looked like she belonged in the regal house.

          Freya thought of the previous day happenings. James Potter had just met her mom. She had just met James Potter's parents. She and James Potter held hands. James Potter kissed her forehead. She fell asleep next to James Potter. And really, Freya thought it was all too much. Reality versus the lies were starting to mix up. The little agreement to appease their love interests was starting to turn into something deeper and more dangerous yet, ironically, more joyous at the same time. And Freya didn't even know what to make of things anymore.

           Sighing, Freya halted her thoughts. Having been satisfied with her appearance, she made her way downstairs.

          Reaching the dining room, she voiced, "Hello? Is anyone awake?"

          No one answered, but she did smell cooking bacon. Freya didn't knew where the kitchen was so she followed the scent. And seeing James Potter wearing an apron and cooking breakfast definitely wasn't a sight she expected but very much glad she had seen.

          Without even looking away from the stove, James spoke, "If there's one thing you should know about this home, it's that people usually wake up at around noon."

          "Doesn't your dad have work?"

          "It's the holidays, Frey," James answered. "And even if it isn't, Dad works the night shift at the Ministry, so all of our body clocks are marked to be awake at night and asleep on mornings."

          "Explains why you're always late at classes, then." Freya said, grinning slightly. James rolled his eyes, though still not facing her and still focused on the pan. "Though, it's only eight. Why are you awake, then?"

          "I knew you were an early bird, so," James fished up the crispy bacon and placed it on a plate that already had a side of eggs and some bread. He then strode his way to Freya and placed the plate on the high stool counter. James looked up to her and smiled, "I made you breakfast."

          Freya looked at the plate in front of her and then up to James who was smiling. She rose an eyebrow and smirked, "If you're starting to fancy me because of last night, just say so, hun."

          Freya wanted to smirk wider at how James' cheeks turned crimson. She felt triumph that, finally, for once, it was James that was showing signs of feeling indifferent towards her as the way she had been towards him for the past month. But, being the king of acting — as Freya had established — he quickly smirked. "If I didn't know any better, it's you that's starting to fancy me."

          Freya played along and remained her smirk — though a slight pink made its way on her cheeks, having James' words being evidently true. "If I said yes, would it change anything?"

          Again, James was caught off guard and the smirk was off his face. But like expected, he quickly covered it with a roll of his eyes. "Exactly. I do know any better. So, that has no possibility of happening."

          "Where's your usual ego? Do you not think I would develop feelings for you?" Freya cautiously and teasingly walked towards James, a smirk still plastered on her face, the Gryffindor lioness taking over her.

         "Well, are you?" James seemed serious, his eyebrows scrunched together as Freya stood directly in front of her.

         "Again, what if I am? Will it change anything?"

         James only stared at her. And for a moment, they just stood there looking at each other, trying to read each other, trying to filter what were real and what were jokes. Until, Freya smiled again, this time with sadness as she said, "Of course, it wouldn't. Because you will forever be bloody infatuated with Lily Evans."

         And before James could answer, Freya had turned around and sat down on the high stool. She grabbed a bacon with her finger and ate it without another word.

         James remained standing, looking as confused as he has never been in his life.