↳ 17: THE LATE NIGHT SHOW W/ JAMES POTTER

"FREYA, ARE YOU STILL AWAKE?"

           Freya rolled her eyes in the darkness and comfortableness of her bed. Still lying down on the bed, she answered. "Yes, I am, James."

          She heard shuffling and the next thing, the duvet jiggled, indicating a person was climbing the bed. Freya sat up and finally made out the face of James Potter now adjusting himself beside her in a sitting position. "Why are you being a ninja?"

          "Mum specifically said that I can not sleep next to you." said James. "She'll have my head if she finds out I'm sneaking up here in the guest room."

         "Well, that wouldn't be a problem, right? I mean, we're not really dating. You don't actually want to sleep next to me."

         But the way James smirked at her said otherwise, making Freya slap him at his arm. James yelped through still laughing quietly. "I'm joking. I actually just really wanted to talk to someone."

         "Aren't you in the same room with Sirius?"

         "He's asleep."

         "So, I'm just a second option now?" Freya asked with a smirk.

         James smirked as well. "You know I'd choose you first any where, love."

         Freya's heart skipped a bit for a moment before she got over it and rolled her eyes. "So," she rested her head on the bed console, "What do you want to talk about?"

         James shrugged and mimicked her movements. "I don't really know, I just wanted to be with someone." he said. "And before I forget, I'm sorry for my parents being way to enthusiastic about this."

         "Yeah, as I heard, I'm the only girl you've brought home." Freya commented, amusement laced in her tone.

         James rolled his eyes. "Well, I haven't really had a proper girlfriend — just some shags here and there."

         Freya rolled her eyes. "Of course."

         "Lay off, I'm serious." James said with a chuckle. "And yeah, I've spent mostly my years chasing Lily that I have only envisioned her as a girlfriend and no one else. And since, very obviously, she loathes me, I haven't had a chance to let my parents meet anyone. So, yeah, they are too ecstatic."

         Freya's heart plumed down at James' words. And she hated herself for being so affected. Still, she forced a smile. "I feel bad for lying to your parents."

        "As odd as it is, I am too. Especially to your mom."

        "Lily is so lucky to have your heart." Freya suddenly said.

        James only chuckled humorlessly. "It would mean a lot better if she were to think that herself."

        "What do you like about Lily, anyway?" Freya asked. "What makes you so attracted to her?"

        James shrugged. "She's just so real, I guess. Lily barely goes around making friends and lovers, because she's a cautious person and I like that. It's as if it's a big deal if you mean something to Lily Evans, you know?"

        "So, you just want to mean something to her?" Freya asked confusedly.

         "I want to mean something to everybody." James pointed. "And I want Lily to see I'm capable of meaning something to her."

         Before she could stop herself, the words flew out freely of Freya's mouth. "You mean something to me."

        James looked sideways and straight to her. The moonlight shone and glistened with Freya's hair and eyes. James mouth went slightly agape, seeming caught off guard with her words. And slowly, his lips formed into a small smile. And he said, "You mean something to me, too."

        This made Freya smile as well. She stretched her hand and intertwined them with James'. James, again, looked surprised, evident with his fingers tensing. And it felt different. When they were pretending, holding hands seemed like a natural thing for them. But without anyone looking, holding hands suddenly felt something different and special to them.

         James slowly melted in Freya's hold. He tugged her hand and pulled her closer and Freya subconsciously laid her head on his shoulder. And as James rubbed his thumb comfortingly on Freya's hand and as he lightly kissed the top of her head, Freya wished time would stop and the moment would never end. She wanted it to be like that, them being affectionate even without anyone looking because it meant it was real. And at that moment, Freya felt it was real.