↳ 29: WHAT

"GET OUT, THE BOTH OF you."

            Remus and Peter stared up from beside James. It was pretty obvious they were consoling their friend who was, evidently, not in a light mood. James was shirtless, his face was red, and he was staring hard at his sheets and avoiding Freya's intense look from their dorm door.

            "Freya, I think you should —"

            "No, Remus," Freya said firmly. "I'll handle this. You should find Sirius."

            James noticeably flinched at the way Freya mentioned Sirius' name. Yet, he made no attempts to acknowledge her. Remus looked at Peter — who looked confused as ever — then at James, then at Freya. He sighed and muttered something under his breath. He stood up from James' bed and motioned for Peter to stand up as well, "Let's go, Wormtail."

            Peter looked unsure but nevertheless stood up. He followed Remus towards the door. Remus stopped beside Freya and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. Freya felt herself heave a breath at Remus' touch. It was enough for the single touch to tell Freya that he knows what's going on and that he would be there. It was also a signal that she should be wary in talking to James because he was a mess. Freya didn't knew how she figured it out but she did. And as she exhaled, she gave a curt nod.

           Remus smiled lightly and tapped her shoulder in reassurance before completely leaving the dorm and shutting the door delicately. James remained frozen on his bed and Freya sighed, "James —"

           "I don't want to talk to you." he said menacingly and it stung Freya — though she didn't show it.

           She only took a breath, as if forcing her patience to not overflow, and answered, "We have to talk about this."

           "Oh, yeah? About what? About you and my best friend eating each other's faces off behind my back?" James chuckled darkly and sarcastically. He finally turned to meet Freya's gaze and the girl didn't recognize the warm eyes she got used to behind his spectacles. James grinned sarcastically and said, "Yeah, I think I would pass that talk."

           "We weren't doing that. It was just one kiss." Freya countered, trying to sound as solemn as possible.

           "That makes a huge difference, love. Thank you for that input." James said sarcastically once more and Freya couldn't hold rolling her eyes.

            "He kissed me, James. I didn't kiss him." Freya explained, her tone a little harder. "He was the one who pulled me in that room and he was the one who started saying he actually loves me."

            "Oh, and I bet you enjoyed that a lot," James said, smiling in a taunting manner that made Freya exasperated.

            "Yes. Is that what you want to hear? I enjoyed it." she said in the same sarcastic tone and it wiped the annoying smirk on James' face. He was back in his frozen state. Only this time, he was staring at Freya. The girl huffed and flailed her hands in the air, her voice now rising, "Because isn't this what this whole thing was about? To get Lily and Sirius return both our feelings?"

            James still didn't answer, but regrettably lowered his head and his gaze back on to his bed. Freya looked at him hopelessly and then sighed aggravated. "Merlin, if you're worried that we would stop the deal because I already got my goal and you still haven't then don't worry, we'd still continue until Lily perfect Evans does the same to you. You don't have to act all —"

            "Is that what you think this is about?" James said, his voice low but hard. He turned his head up to meet Freya's eyes. "You think I'm mad because you're going to bail on me? Do you really think I'm that selfish?"

            "Then why, James?" Freya exclaimed, her patience now slipping. "Why would you do that and why are you like this?"

            James remained staring at her before doing what he does best. He abruptly stood up from his bed — shirtless and all — and before Freya had time to react, James crashed his lips to hers.

            Freya was caught off guard, as per usual. James had grabbed both sides of her head and pressed their knowing lips onto each other. It was hard, and it stung a bit from the force, yet, Freya felt that it was their most meaningful kiss ever. She felt James' body shaking and felt that he was trying to manage to steady his lips. Freya didn't have time to kiss back or to move or anything since the kiss was short. But, as James pulled back, he said.

           "Because of that."