Emma

• Dedicated to Emma, my lost friend

       I stood in the middle of the luscious green fields that I loved so much as a child.  The wind blew and sent the smell of the grass into my nose.  I smiled as I recognized the tree that I had always enjoyed climbing.  I ran over to the low branched tree and got on the lowest one.  From there, I climbed higher as the familiar thrill of heights flowed through me.  When I got to the top, I looked down to see two young girls running to my tree.

        One of the girls was faster than the other and got to the tree and started climbing.  The other girl was right behind her as they both rushed up the tree.  A few seconds later, a hell hound appeared out of the other trees.  It was a medium sized hell hound, but was viscously growling and showing its razor sharp teeth.

          The blonde haired girl was behind the chestnut colored haired girl.  Right as the girl with chestnut hair got to the branch out of the reach of the hellhound, the hound jumped at the blonde.  It got her foot in its mouth.  The chestnut hair girl kept climbing out of fear and looked back as she heard the scream that escaped the blonde.

          "Emma!" the girl screamed.  She climbed down a few branches and looked down to see that Emma was barely hanging on.  The girl put a foot on Emma's branch and was about to grab Emma's hand when the branch cracked and broke.  "Emma!" the girl screamed as she watched the blonde fall from the branch and get torn up by the hound as its jaws wrapped around her neck.

          The chestnut haired girl hung by one arm and screamed at the hound through the pain.  She got a grip on the branch that she was hanging by and got on it.  "I am so sorry!" she screamed at the stained blood on the grass below.  "It was my fault, I am so sorry Emma!"

           I woke up in a cold sweat.  My dream registered in my mind and I remembered the face of Emma she had right before she plummeted into the mercy of the hungry hell hound.  A tear escaped my eye as I tried to forgive myself.  "It was my fault, I should've been smarter about it.  Just please forgive me." I said to the ceiling.

        "Sky, are you okay?" Piper asked.

         "Yeah," I said, holding back a tear.  I shook my head.  "I am done pretending.  No, I am not.  I let my best friend die, I should have saved her."  I looked at Piper's face and saw that she actually did care.  So I told her my story.  When I finished I said, "If my foot did not put the extra weight on the branch, she just might have been able to be saved.  I was an idiot, I shouldn't have tried to show her that there is a world outside studying. Yet if I didn't try, she would be a brilliant person with straight A's and I would be my old lonely self,"  I said.