Chapter Seventy Two

You Light Up the Sky Like Lightning 72

Justin was fuming. "No, we will not do an abortion!" he yelled at Scooter. "What the hell is wrong with you?!"

Scooted didn't react. Pattie, Carin, and I were just staring at Scooter in horror. I can't believe he said that! It's one thing to put a baby up for adoption- which I would still never do- but it's another thing to have an abortion. Abortions were just plain cruel! 

"Scooter, may I talk to you, please?" Carin asked, standing up from where she was seated next to Justin, and walking out of the room. 

Scooter sighed, and followed her. 

I looked at Justin, who was looking at his mom. 

"What do you want me to say, Justin?" she asked him. "Yes, I am happy for you. But you don't realize how hard it-"

"Mom, please can we do this later?" he asked. He motioned with his head towards me, meaning that he didn't want me to be a part of that conversation, thankfully. 

Pattie nodded, understandingly. 

The room was silent after that, until Justin said, "I'll be right back. I have to pee."

He leaned over, and quickly pecked me on my lips before getting up and basically sprinting to the bathroom. 

I smiled small after him at his cuteness. He was something else. 

Pattie cleared her throat, and my smile vanished. I looked over at the couch across from me where she was sitting. 

"Pattie, I'm so sorry," I said quietly, looking at my hands folded in my lap. "I never intended for this to happen, and I especially hope you aren't mad at me. I don't want you to-"

"Landry, it's okay," she said with a reassuring smile. "Sure, I'm surprised. I won't deny that. In fact, I'm very surprised. But, that aside, I see the way you and Justin look at each other. You two were clearly meant to be, and hopefully this child will tie y'all even closer together. I know what true love is when I see it, and every time I see you and Justin together, it's all I see. Y'all were meant to be."

I smiled. She was amazing. 

"Thank you," I whispered. 

She stood up, and I followed her motion. She pulled me into a hug, and I had to hold back a sigh of relief. 

"And I can't even describe to you how much Justin loves you," she whispered in my ear, still hugging me. 

"Well, I'll love him more than he'll ever know," I said, smiling, and pulling away from Pattie. 

She smiled sweetly at me. "I'm so happy he has someone like you. You're good for him."

We sat back down across from each other on the couches. Justin came out  few seconds later, and plopped down next to me. 

"Better?" I asked. 

He nodded, and cracked a smile. He then laid his head in my lap, and spread his legs out so that he was covering the rest of the sofa. I put my fingers in his hair, and started running them through it slowly and gently. I used my nails to lightly scratch his head, and I saw his eyes flutter closed. 

"You're actually letting someone touch your hair," Carin said with a smirk as she walked back in the room, Scooter following silently. 

Justin nodded his head in my lap, and said, "And she's the only one who is allowed to. It, um... relaxes me."

Carin smiled at us, and sat down next to Pattie again. Scooter kept standing, though. 

"You guys, I'm sorry," he said, somewhat unenthusiastically. "I shouldn't have said that about the abortion. I should have realized that you would want to keep it, and be actual parents to it."

I scrunched my eyebrows. Why did I feel like he was using sarcasm?

"But anyways," he continued. "I have a list of the best doctors in town, and I thought that you might want it."

He walked towards Justin and me, and handed us a sheet of paper. 

That was unusually thoughtful of him. Unless Carin told him to do that. 

"Uh, thanks," Justin said, looking over the list.

Scooter nodded, and sat back down in his chair. I was so tempted to call it the time-out-chair. 

"I'm excited for you guys," Carin told Justin and me. 

We both smiled gratefully at her. "Thank you," we said simultaneously. 

"And I know exactly what you are going through," Pattie said. "It happened to me when I was about y'all's age."  

I smiled, and looked down at Justin. If she hadn't done that, none of this would be happening right now. And I just couldn't imagine my life without Justin.