Chapter Forty Nine

You Light Up the Sky Like Lightning 49

"Landry?" Justin's voice sounded distant. "It's time to get up. We're almost here." 

I opened my eyes sleepily. I was laying on Justin's lap, still on the plane to Atlantis. 

Justin was looking down at me with a small smile across his perfect lips. 

"Come on," he groaned with a little laugh following when I shut my eyes again because they felt heavy from sleeping still. "Wake up!"

I let out a sigh, and sat up slowly, opening my eyes and squinting from the bright sun streaming through the small plane window.  

"Whoa, I didn't mean you had to sit up yet," Justin said. 

I smiled at him. "Nah, it's okay. If I lay down any longer then I will fall asleep again anyways."

Justin laughed, and kissed me lightly. He tasted like candy- probably because he had been eating sour patch kids. 

I furrowed my eyebrows when he pulled away. "What was that for?"

Justin shrugged. "I thought I was allowed to kiss you. You know, since you're my girlfriend and all." 

I laughed. "I love you."

Justin smiled. "You know, when I tell you that I love you too, I don't say it out of habit, or just trying to make a conversation. I say it to remind you that you are the best thing that has ever happened to me."

I smiled and blushed. "Aw, Justin..."

He smiled back at me. 

I leaned against his shoulder after lightly kissing it. 

I thought about what he just said. I was the best thing that's ever happened to him? How is that even possible? I'm not that special and I don't see how I mean so much to him. We've only been dating for three and a half months, and yet it feels like it's been forever. And that's how long it feels like it'll last. 

"Hey babe," Justin said, drawing my attention back to him. 

He was pointing across the isle, diagonally, to the front of us, on the opposite side of the plane to the couple sitting there. Yes, it was a public plane, but no one really paid us much attention. 

The couple he was pointing at was an elderly couple. They were holding hands, and the elderly lady was leaning against the elder gentleman- much like I was doing to Justin. 

"See," he said, looking at me laying on his shoulder. "That's going to be us one day."

I lifted my head from his shoulder and kissed him. I don't know what he was trying to do with all this sweet talk, but I loved it. It reassured me that I wasn't the only one in this relationship who believed in it and wanted it to last. 

Justin held the back of my head, pulling me into his more. We broke away about ten seconds later when the plane landed in the Bahamas.

***

*Justin's POV*

I was starting to get nervous. I had a week to win the bet. A week. That's it. 

But I was scared for what might come after. I was scared that she would find out about the bet somehow and then dump my sorry ass. I was scared because I didn't want this to be the reason we broke up, because I never wanted to break up with her. Ever. She was my world and I have no idea what I would do without her. 

I'm actually surprised that we were even allowed to go on this vacation. See, I had to ask my mom, and then she made me ask Carin and Scooter. Scooter said no from the start. But Carin eventually talked him into letting me take Landry here. My mom had no problem with it as long as we were careful and didn't do anything stupid. Well, hate to break it to you, mom, but I was stupid enough a month ago to make this stupid bet and that's the reason I took Landry here in the first place. 

But no one knew that. 

Right now I was waiting for Landry to change into her swimsuit. I had already changed, and was sitting in one of the chairs in the hotel suite, waiting. 

I have tried a few more attempts to try to get her, but she's stopped me every time. I don't know if that's good or bad. And I've tried at least ten other times. But every time, I feel so guilty. And I was scared for what was coming.

"Babe? You okay?" Landry asked as she walked over to where I was waiting. I must have missed her come out of the restroom. 

I focused on her now instead of my thoughts. She was in a purple strapless dress as a coverup, with a yellow swimsuit underneath. She had her flip-flops in her hands, and she was watching me with a weird expression. 

"Are you okay?" she asked again. 

No. I'm freaking out. I have a week to have sex with you, but if I don't, then you get raped again. And then I was freaking out because she might leave me if she ever found out about the bet! I'm so not okay!

I simply shook my head no, but I didn't plan on telling her why. 

I looked away as she asked, "Why?"

I sighed. Might as well say something. "I'm scared."

She furrowed her eyebrows. "What?"

"I'm scared," I repeated. 

"You're scared? Of what?" she seemed totally confused. 

I took a deep breath. This is where I have to be 'cute' with my words again like I was on the plane. "I'm scared because I don't want anyone else to have you. I'm scared because I don't want anyone else to kiss you. I'm scared because I don't want you to be in anyone else's arms. I'm scared because I don't want you to love anyone else. I'm scared because I don't want anyone to take my place."

Well, that was all true. But the scary thing was that it was always a possibility in the future. And I didn't want that to happen. 

Landry was smiling at me. She sat down in my lap and wrapped her arms around my neck. 

"Why would you be scared of that?" she asked cutely. 

I shrugged. "Just, reasons."

Yeah, reasons. Guy reasons. 

Gah, I hate this! I wish I could just enjoy this vacation with her and not focus on the bet! I'm such an idiot! I don't deserve her at all! She deserves so much better!

"Come on," she said, grabbing my hand, standing up, and then pulling me with her. "Let's go."