Chapter Fifty

You Light Up the Sky Like Lightning 50

*Landry's POV* 

We spent our first day in Atlantis on the beach. Nothing really happened that's worth me explaining. Well, of course it was worth it, but it would just take up too much room. 

Justin and I were now walking down the beach, hand in hand, watching the sunset. Red, and orange, and yellow colors of the day mixed with the blue, and purple colors of the night. The sun seemed like it was being engulfed by the ocean. And it was almost completely gone. 

"Hey baby," Justin said, nudging me with his shoulder. 

"Yeah?" I said, looking at him. 

He hesitated. I later realized that he was just waiting for the right moment. 

"Look," he said, pointing up at the sky. 

I looked up, and smiled. There were thousands of stars already creeping out of their hiding spots, and into the night sky. Thousands. Way more than in New York and in Atlanta. The entire sky was filled with them.

I looked back at Justin with a smile still on my face. 

"I didn't forget," he said. 

I laughed, and said, "I know."

I looked back up to the stars shining down on us, as well as a full moon. 

Randomly, Justin stopped walking. I turned my attention from the sky, to him, and found him watching me. 

"What?" I asked with a giggle. 

Justin didn't reply. Instead, he took both of my hands with both of his, and rotated so that he was standing in front of me. 

I gave him a questioning look, but was still smiling a little bit. 

He took one step closer to me so that we were almost touching, but not quite. He was still holding my hands, and he rested my right on his left shoulder, releasing it from his left hand. He was still holding onto my left hand. His left wrapped around my waist and pulled me closer so that now we actually were touching. 

He slowly started to rock back and forth, starting to dance a little. I giggled, and leaned my head against his chest, following his motions. 

He started to softly hum a song. The song was 'I'll Be,' and just knowing that alone brought a smile to my face. It was one of my all time favorite songs- apart from 'Stuck in the Moment.' 

We kept rocking back and forth, and he spun me around in a circle a few times before he stopped dancing. When he stopped, he still didn't let go of me. His left hand was still holding my right, and my left was on his shoulder. I still had my head on his chest, and he had rested his head on top of mine. 

"Landry?" he asked, resting his forehead on mine and touching the tip of his nose to the tip of mine. 

"What, baby?" I was looking deep into his eyes, and thought to myself, 'So this is what it feels like to be lost in someones eyes.'

"You know that I love you, right?" he asked quietly. There was what sounded like a hint of sorrow in his voice, as well as regret. His eyes looked pained. 

I furrowed my eyebrows. First the things he said on the plane. Then in the hotel room. And then now. 

He wasn't the same. He wasn't the same person. Whatever was bothering him had made him change, and it was starting to worry me. 

"Justin, I do know that," I said with a small smile. "But can I ask you something?"

He nodded, almost anxiously. 

"Are... are you okay?" I asked. 

He didn't reply. His eyes shut slowly, and he sighed. 

"Is there anything you want to talk about?" I tried again. 

He still didn't reply. 

"Did I do something wrong?" I whispered. I was scared that maybe I did something that upset him or made him angry. 

His eyes shot open. "No, baby, no," he said quietly. "You have never done anything wrong. Don't you ever think that." 

*Justins POV*

She thinks she did something wrong. That made my heart feel heavy. I'm the one who's screwed up in the head, and she thinks that she did something wrong. 

It made me feel so guilty. 

I was staring into her eyes. They were full of concern and worry. She obviously knew something was wrong. 

I leaned down a little and pressed my lips against her's- not parting our noses and foreheads. 

I couldn't explain why I was acting so distant. I technically wasn't allowed to. 

Landry pulled away from the kiss before I did. She was still looking at me funny, but not as much. 

"Justin?" she said. 

"Yes?" I said, pulling away from near her face and continued walking with her. 

"You know that you can tell me anything, right? I'm always here if you need someone to talk to. I will always be. I mean, I'm your girlfriend, and I want to be. I just don't..." She trailed off. 

"Landry," I said very quietly, stopping our walk again. I took her into my arms and hugged her tight. That was the only thing I could think of to do. "Don't worry, it'll all be over soon."

Hopefully. 

And if I win this bet. 

Well, regardless, it would be over soon. 

But what she said next hit me like a ton of bricks, and it made me realize how much I've changed just to fit into this stupid bet. 

"I just..." she said against my chest. "I just want my Justin back."