Twenty Two

You stared at the sandwich filled with dog food in the corner. You shook your head.

"Who was this that gave this to you?" You asked. Daryl didn't look up. He ignored you. You couldn't tell if he was mad at you, or if he just didn't want to speak at all.

You scooted closer to him. "Daryl?" You asked and he glanced up at you. He shrugged and stared back at the floor. "None of this is you fault Daryl." You said as you saw the guilt in his eyes.

"This is all Negan." You said your voice breaking slightly as you said his name. "He did this and.. we all fell for it."

Daryl looked at you now. "It seems like you did most of all." You frowned. "What do you mean?" You asked feeling worried.

Daryl shrugged. "Dunno. That asshole Dwight, said somethin' about 'you and the boss getting to know each other quite well'." You looked down and sighed.

"I-I- that doesn't mean anything." You said trying to diffuse the accusations.

Daryl shrugged. "It's whatever." There was a moment of silence and you sighed. "I know what happened in the RV." Daryl said and you looked down. "Daryl.. I-"

"Save it. I couldn't care less. About any of it. If you want to be selfish go ahead but, I don't want any part in it." He said shaking his head.

You sighed. You didn't want to talk about it. You didn't anyone to know, but Rick often confided in Daryl. "How is Rick doing?" You asked out of interest. "He's getting by." Daryl said.

"Daryl.. I'm going to get you out of here. I promise. I'll get you some proper food too." You whispered.

"How? They're never going to let you do that. I'm surprised you were allowed to even come and see me."

"Daryl..  As much as I hate to admit, Negan and Simon, it's easy to get my way. Negan wants me, Simon likes me. With bottom of them wrapped around my finger, I can get us both out. I promise."

Daryl looked up, a tiny glimmer of hope in his eyes that soon diminished. "You really think you're capable? Dwight. What about him? He'll see right through you. You may have them wrapped around your finger Y/n. But they're always one step ahead."

"That's why I'll be two steps ahead." You said standing up. Daryl sighed and looked down.

"I'm going to get you some proper food. I'll be back soon." You said leaving the cell. Suddenly the music started up again and you sighed. You had to get that fixed too.