Sixteen

"Damn. Looks like you've gotten yourself into a right mess." She handed you your tea and you nodded. You had told her everything. What have you to lose? After all, you felt like you had just about given up on everything.

You looked around. "God, how do you have a room like this? It's luxury." You whispered. Elena, which was her name, chuckled and sat beside you. "I'm not a wife if that's what you're thinking. I made a deal with Simon. Four times a week I hunt, bring back a substantial amount of supplies with the hunting group, and me and my team, who are also my friends, get these rooms. If we keep up the good work, we get to stay here." You nodded. "Simon agreed to that? Didn't he need Negan's say so?"

Elena shook her head. "He said he'd talk to him. And he succeeded obviously. He's not a bad guy if you think about it. I mean, yes, he's an asshole, to a lot of people. But it's rare he's nice to anyone. And when he is, that's not fake, that's genuine, you can feel it. And you certainly can feel it if he feels like he's wasted his efforts on you."

You looked down and nodded. You set your tea aside and ran your hand through your hair, letting out an unsteady breath. "I just can't imagine him, being nice. That's all. I know he helped me, I'm horrible for not saying thank you, and I am thankful. More than ever."

"Then show him. I'm serious. If Simon has a reason to hate you he will. I'm not saying he hates you now, but he's clearly upset. I think he cares, in fact I know he does. I've been here since the start. I know him. Quite well."

You looked at her. "Quite well?" You asked. She nodded. "Oh yeah, I used to hate him, I used to be a bit like you. One day he saved me from a walker. I almost died. I brushed it off without even so much as a thank you and he didn't appreciate it. All I'm saying, is show him you appreciate it and he will too."

"What about Negan?" You asked. You had told her about Rick, about Glenn and Abe. You told her about what almost happened in the Rv and she was rather taken aback by that. Then she didn't believe that you slept with him, but then she sighed realising of course you did. Most women here have in order to get what they want. She explained the desperate ones went to Negan for that. Sometimes Negan would do the feed or he'd get someone else to sleep with them. He wouldn't force it either. Negan never forced anything like that on a woman.

"Figure it out. Realistically, who do you want? Rick? Or Negan? Come on. Negan is out for himself only. From what I hear, and this is from you, I can tell Rick cares about you. He shows it. Negan? Not so much."

You nodded. She was a smart woman. So were you, but right now you couldn't think straight, so smart was filtered in by Elena at the moment.

"Thanks for your help. I appreciate it." You said getting up. Elena smiled. "See? Now go say that to Simon and you've made one less foe." You smiled a little and nodded. "Yeah. Good point. I'll see you around then?" You asked heading for the door. You turned before leaving.

Elena nodded. "Oh, maybe you can join us next time we go hunting. Might do you some good." You smiled. "Yeah. Thanks Elena."

Once you left you walked down the corridor and stepped outside onto a balcony breathing in some fresh air. You looked around and saw Simon with some men by a truck. They were all getting in and Simon saw you. You were frozen. "Shit." You whispered. He simply looked away and got in the truck and drove out of the sanctuary.

You didn't know why, but something about Simon, made you see through his bullshit and see that actually he's a nice guy sometimes.

"Shit!" You yelled out loud. You slammed your hands on the railing. You were justifying their actions. They killed your friends. And here you were contemplating whether they were good people or not. Uh, no of course they're not good.

You didn't know Abe very well. You two were friendly but you were closer to Glenn if anything. Even Glenn and you weren't that close, it was only Rick who was like your best friend. And you betrayed him.

You began to boil up, gripping the railing hard. How could you be so selfish and give in.

"Afternoon sweetheart."

Negan.