Chapter Fifty-Four

Start from the beginning

"Y-You do?" I asked in surprise.

"Yeah. I can't pray for my baby?"

"I mean you can but you never seemed like the Christian type before"

"I've had a change of heart. They have service in here every Sunday and my cellmate suggested that I go. Surprisingly, I enjoyed it and have been going ever since. Once I get out of here, I'll still go"

"When will you get out?" I asked realized that I never did ask her about it.

     She sighed before speaking.

"I can try for probation in a year, maybe earlier if I'm extra good" she said sarcastically. "But if not, we can expect another year to get tacked onto that one"

"Well maybe I should be the one praying for you"  said making her laugh.

"Oh hon, I'll be fine. You just keep on doing me proud and visiting and I'll be fine. These months are gonna fly by in no time" she said giving me a reassuring smile.

"I hope so. And thanks...for praying for me and all"

     She nodded as if to say 'You're welcome'. Suddenly, our nice Mother and Son moment was interrupted by the guards husky voice telling my mom that it was time to go. She nodded and got up extending her arms out to me. I walked into them and we embraced.

"I love you, Que...so much" she said and I could hear her holding back her tears.

"I love you too, Mom" I replied.

     She released me and the guard seized the opportunity to take her by the arm and away from me.

                                                    ***Nicole's POV***

"Janay?" I said approaching her at one of the picnic tables that she was sitting at.

     We were both still at school. My mom was coming late, later than usual which was really annoying to me. Jacquees left a few minutes ago. Thank God because I was still mad at him for what he did for me and Janay. Janay looked up from her phone at me and gave a small smile. She gestured for me to sit down at the seat across from her putting her phone away. I walked over and sat down.

"You staying after school or something?" I asked.

"No. My mom is just running a little late"

"Yeah same here" I said rolling my eyes.

"Um...what's up with you and Que?" she asked.

     I sighed.

"Why? You notice something?"

"Yeah. You were ducking and dodging him all day" she said looking at me as if she were ready to hear a story.

"We're just having some problems. He told me what happened when he went over to talk to you"

     She just shook her head looking down and then abruptly looked back up.

"Wait...you're mad at him for what he did to me?"

"Of course! He knew what you went through and he still broke your heart. And finding out that you were his little chess piece in his game to try to get me jealous and get me back was just plain childish and petty" I said rolling my eyes. "It almost makes me wonder...should I have done what I did to WIllie?"

     Janay looked at me surprised.

"Don't question what you and Que have. What ya'll did was messed up, no doubt. But that boy thinks you hang the moon, girl!"

"I know but all of this information is driving me nuts! And ya'll weren't talking today either so what was up with that?" I added.

"I mean...I kinda wanted him to come talk to me though. I sort of didn't let him explain himself when he came to my house. I was just so livid"

"And you had every right to be. Don't start regretting your actions"

"I'm not. I just want a better explanation. He was just pulling stuff right out of his ass when he was apologizing to me"

     I laughed at that and she did too.

"But in all seriousness, Nic, don't pity me. Your relationship has nothing to do with me. Don't make him pay. He left me for you so he must really care about you. You were the topic of discussion 75% of the time I was around the guy! He...he loves you"

     I blushed. I knew all of this already. I loved him too. I didn't think this situation was so minor when it happened. I wanted to show him what he caused. Now hearing from someone else how much he cares for me...my feelings were coming back all at once.

"Me and Jacquees can handle our own situation...just don't let him go" she smiled.

     I nodded and walked over to her to give her a hug.

"Thanks" I said as she hugged me back.

     This was weird: the two females in this love triangle actually manage to work it out without killing each other. Tomorrow was Saturday so I could maybe go see him then and talk to him. Jacquees seemed to be...it for! And Janay was right: I didn't want to let him go.