Chapter Twenty-Six

As I made my way back for Tre's house, my phone began to ring. I looked at the screen and saw that it was my mom. I got so caught up in seeing Nicole that I forgot that I had to go visit my mother today. I answered the call.

"Hey, Ma"

"Hey, sweetie, where are you?" she asked.

"I was just coming to see you" I lied. "I just had to do something real quick. I'm sorry that it took so long"

"No, you're fine. I'll see you when you get here"

"Okay, Ma"

     I hung up the phone and did a U-turn and made my way for my mother's house. I had been meaning to ask her about what went down between her and my dad. I still thought that it was pretty foul of him to just shut her out like he did. I wish I would have been there. I would've done something. Soon enough, I finally arrived at her apartment complex and got out of my car. I walked up the stairs and knocked on her door. She opened it and smiled widely.

"Hi, baby!" she beamed as she pulled me down by my neck and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"Hey, Ma" I said.

     She moved out of the way so that I could come in which I did. Her apartment was small but it had all of the simple things she needed: a bedroom, bathroom, living room, and kitchen. She closed and locked the door behind me. She made her way for the kitchen.

"Que, you want some lunch. I can make you sandwich or something"

"Yeah, I'll take a sandwich"

     After a few minutes of silence, I walked over to her and leaned my back up against the counter watching her make my food. I asked her the question that kept on spinning through my head since I found out about it.

"What happened when you went over to dad's house the other day?"

     She stopped making my sandwich and looked up at me with an upset look. She went back to making it and sighed.

"He told you?" she asked.

"Yeah, who else? What happened, Ma?"

"He...I just went over there because you know...us being separated has been taking its toll on me for the past few years and  I just went over there to ask if we could all go out for a while as a family for lunch or something"

"Just for a day?"

"Just for a day. I just wanted that feeling back of being a family" she said as a tear rolled down her cheek.

"Wha...Dad said that you asked if you could stay there" I said in a confused way.

"Oh come on, Jacquees, you know your father" she said wiping her face. "Saying and doing anything to justify his actions or to make him look like the victim"

     And she was totally right. That's why I'm asking my mom about this because I can never take my dad's word for anything anymore.

"Then what happened?"

"He just went off, Que. Saying that I'm a deadbeat mom and I lost the chance to be a family years ago. That's why I was so concerned about you coming today because I thought that maybe you thought-"

"Ma" I said taking her hand. "Despite everything you've done, you're still the same mom to me. You're not a deadbeat. You completely turned your life around and in my book, that excuses everything that you've ever done"

     She smiled slightly and gave me a big hug. I couldn't believe my dad! The only thing he told the truth about was that my mother came over to our house. Then, he had the nerve to come to me afterward and ask me to come home. I had to confront him about this later. She released me and went back to making my food.