Chapter Eighteen

***Jacquees' POV***

     Nicole and I just sat in detention all day and talked. She seemed fine although she told me that her mom was tripping over the fight like I knew she would. I told her about what happened yesterday with my dad. I trusted her enough now to tell her some parts of my life like the fact that my dad is messed up but I didn't tell her about my mom.

"Wow! Are you going back there?" she asked.

"Right now, hell no! But that's my dad though. I can't just cut him out of my life for good. Plus, it's not like I can anyway. I'm staying with Tre and he lives in the same damn neighborhood" I chuckled.

"Yeah, I can't even compare my situations to that"

"Nic, trust me. You don't want to" I said shaking my head. 

     She smiled slightly and then her smile faded as she played around with her fingertips.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

     She deeply inhaled and then began to speak.

"I...Well, I didn't tell you this when I told you about yesterday but there's more to the story" she said.

"Like?..."

"Well, when my mom isn't able to pick me up from school, I have to take the bus or something but I can't go anywhere with you after school"

"She named me specifically?" I asked.

"Yeah, she thinks that you're a bad influence on me" she scoffed.

     I felt bad for Nicole and worse than that, I felt like it was my fault somehow. Ever since I came into the picture Nicole has been getting into some deep stuff. Keyana, fighting, and now her mom.

"Nic, I'm sorry" I said with my head down looking at the ground.

"For what? You didn't do anything. If I could change anything that happened yesterday, I would only change the punishment. I don't regret fighting for you, Jac. I'm just pissed at how my mom reacted to it all. Personally, I think it was all about her image getting screwed up"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"The perfect, well-known lawyer who wins every case she takes on has a thug for a daughter who gets into trouble left and right. Not a very good look, wouldn't you say?"

     And in some way, I could understand that. My dad being a businessman means everything to him. Maybe that's why he's always so hard on me, because he wants me to be perfect which is something that he needs to understand that I can't be all the time.

"Yeah, I feel you on that" I said resting my elbow on the desk that I was sitting at.

     But she still looked like there was something else that she wanted to say.

"Is that all?" I asked with a concerned look.

"I, um...I think I may have a solution to reduce my punishment"

"Okay..."

"And I kinda need you"

"To do what?"

     She took a deep breath and said it.

"Jacquees Broadnax, I need you to meet my mother"

     My eyes widened at her request. No girl had ever asked me to meet their mom before! But then again, it wasn't like this was a sign that me and Nicole's relationship was getting more serious. It was just to help her get a smaller punishment, right?

"How is that gonna help reduce your punishment?" I asked.

"To prove that you aren't a bad influence. Charm her like you charm me. I just need her to know that you aren't as bad as she makes you out to be. Then she'll realize that you aren't a terrible person and I won't have to wait no damn 3 months to do anything"

"So you're using me?" I joked with a smile.

     She grinned, got up from her seat that was across from me, and walked over to me. She lifted my face up to hers, bent down, and kissed me for a good 10 seconds. She finally pulled her lips away from mine.