Chapter Forty-Five

I was freaking out trying to figure out what to wear. Willie and I set up another date for today which is the Saturday following our first one. This time instead of lunch, he's taking me to dinner. He told me to dress up so he must have something big planned. He would be here at 8 oclock and it was a 7:15 right now! People at school know that he and I are talking now, even Jacquees. He seemed iffy about it at first which I totally understood because they were friends and everything but he ended up getting over it. Lyric is happy though. She says that it's good that I'm moving on and that Willie was a good guy. I hoped that it was true. Suddenly, my mother came into my room with a wine cooler drink in her hand.

"Honey, when is that boy...you aren't even dressed yet?!" she exclaimed.

"This is hard, Mom. I've never had to dress to impress for a boy. I don't know what to wear!" I said running my fingers through my hair.

     She shook her head looking at the ground. She lifted the wine cooler bottle to her lips and took a sip. Then snapped and made a small muffled noise as if she had come up with something. She took the bottle away from her mouth and smiled at me.

"Follow me" she said as I followed her to her room.

     She rummaged through her closet and kept on mumbling to herself.

"Aha! I got it!" she beamed as she pulled out a black and white hourglass dress with long see-through sleeves that looked like they were cuffed at the wrist.

      I wasn't going to lie, it was a beautiful dress. I just was unsure if I should wear it.

"It was originally for me but it's a little too tight on a sister" she laughed. "Since you are a little less curvier than me, I figured that you could rock it better" she said giving me the dress on its hanger.

     I held the dress in front of me to see if it even looked like it would fit which it did. 

"Just put the dress on, sweetie. If you don't like it, I'll help you decide on something else"

     I nodded and made my way for my room to try the dress on. I looked at myself in the full body mirror that was attached to my door. I bit my lip trying to decide if I should wear it. It did fit me very nicely and I was glad that I could breath in it. I used my hand to put my hair up and saw how good I would look like that. I got a band and put my hair up in a neat bun making my way for my mom's room. She saw me and brought her hands up to her face in an astonished manner.

"Nic, that looks gorgeous on you" she said getting up and making her way over to me.

      I blushed and just looked down at myself.

"Go finish getting dressed. Willie is gonna be here soon" she said shooing me away.

     I nodded and made my way back for my room. I pulled out some nude pumps and slipped them onto my feet. For jewelry, I put on my medium-sized gold hoop earrings. I decided to leave my trademark gold cross necklace on. I looked back at the clock realizing that it was 7:45. I seemed to relax a little bit more knowing that I had made good timing. I transferred a bunch of my belongings from my crossbody to my tan clutch which went with my pumps. I went up to my mirror to apply my red lipstick which became the finishing touch to my outfit.

      To burn time, I sat on my bed scrolling through some of my social networks waiting for him when suddenly, the doorbell rang. I swear, my heart sunk at that same moment. Maybe knowing where we were going would relieve me of some of my anxiety.

"Nicole, come out here!" my mother called.

     I took a deep breath, grabbed my clutch, and looked at myself in the mirror one more time before exiting my room. I walked out to the living room where they were. They both looked at me in awe. I felt like I was in a scene where I was about to go to prom except there was no big flowing gown, corny background music, or slow motion effects. Willie looked so handsome. He had on an all white blazer and pants with a black dress shirt underneath. His hands were in his pockets. I was beginning to think that that was a bad habit of his. I gave him a hug being careful to not let my lipstick stain his blazer. My mom just gushed at us.