Chapter Nine

***Jacquees' POV***

     I pulled on my red and white Jordans to finish off my outfit. I grabbed my phone off of my dresser, put it in my pocket, and made my way for the kitchen where my car keys were. As I made my way for them, my dad came out of nowhere and took them himself.

"Where are you headed?" he asked.

"I'm gonna go pick up Tre and then we're going to the fair"

"With who else? Keyana?"

"No. We're done, Dad"

"Good! I didn't like her hoeing ass anyway! Reminded me of your mother"

"WATCH IT!" I protested.

     My dad began to get up in my face.

"Or what, Mama's boy? Maybe that's why you let these fast girls manipulate you: you have no balls!"

     I snatched the keys out of his hand and made my way for the front door. I turned back around before leaving and saw him in the same spot that I had left him.

"If respecting and loving my mother makes me a push over, them dumping her and keeping her away from your son makes you an asshole"

     With that, I opened the front door and slammed it behind me. I felt like I wanted to knock something over or kill someone! I just couldn't understand how a man could disrespect the mother of his son! She's trying to better herself but I guess in my dad's world, if you aren't on his level then you don't deserve respect. I went around to the driver's side door and slammed it as I entered the car. My dad came out after me.

"How dare you, you arrogant little shit! If I let you go with your mother, you wouldn't even have half of the shit you have today! Like that fucking car! But since you wanna disrespect the man that has been taking care of your ass for the past 8 years, give me the car back!"

     I locked all of the doors before my dad could attempt to open them. He slammed on the passenger window.

"OPEN THE FUCKING DOOR!" he screamed.

     Go to hell I mouthed as I started up the car and drove away. I could hear my dad still ranting as the neighbors looked on. I tried to take my mind off of everything and luckily, Tre lived in my complex so I could vent to him except that his house was by the entrance of the complex. I drove over there as I saw him waiting outside. He came around to the passenger side.

"What's up, bruh?" he said as he entered.

"Nothing, man"

     I guess he could tell that something was bothering me as we began to drive off toward the fair.

"What's wrong, Que? Your dad is trippin' again?"

"Yeah, man. It's getting out of control. I can't wait to get out of there" I sighed

"What happened this time?"

"It's the same thing everytime if it isn't about grades. Your mom is no goodshe's trifling, you're better off staying with me. I'm just so sick of him"

"Hey, don't worry about him 'cause it sounds like he's always trying to start something. Let's just focus on this fair. You get to see your girl, right?"

"My girl?"

"I think her name was Nicole"

     I sighed in annoyance.

"She's not my girl" I said.

"But you like her though"

"She's my friend, Tre"

"Mmhmm. Suuuure she is. I see the way ya'll look at each other when you think I'm not paying attention. Now what you need to do is watch out for Keyana. You know how she gets"

"Keyana isn't gonna do anything to me or Nicole because there is nothing going on between me and Nicole, okay?"

"Okay, okay. No need to get defensive. But we'll see what happens tonight"

"Shut up" I chuckled.

"Lyric just texted me. She said that she and Nicole are already there" Tre said as he started to text back.

"Good because so are we" I responded as I drove through the parking lot trying to find a spot.