Chapter Sixteen

Officer Asshole finally released Jacquees and I from detention at the end of the day. We made our way toward the exit. I looked at my phone and I saw that I had recieved a text from my mom saying that she won't be able to pick me up today...again. I sighed in annoyance.

"What's wrong" Jacquees asked.

"Nothing. It's just that my mom keeps bailing on me and I can't take the bus because I don't know which one takes me home and-"

"Nicole, I can just take you home. Calm down" he said with a smile.

"Really?"

"Yeah.  I am your boyfriend now, aren't I?" he chuckled.

     I looked at the ground. Everything seemed to be going okay. As weird as it sounds, the fight seems like my key to happiness: I got rid of the bitch who's been hounding me since I got here and I got what seemed to be the perfect boyfriend. But I didn't want to jump into conclusions just yet. Not until we got a little bit more serious...if we'd even make it that far. We walked over to his car and entered. As we pulled out of the school, I started having second thoughts about going home. I wasn't ready to just yet.

"I don't wanna go home" I said.

     Jacquees looked at me confused. 

"So....where do you want to go? My house?" he laughed.

"No...not yet anyway" I said with a flirtatious look.

     He laughed again.

"But I want...ice cream!"

"We could do ice cream" he said with a smile. "Your mom won't get pissed?"

"She's working late so she probably won't be back until...6 o'clock. Your dad won't get pissed?" I replied.

     There was a long pause. His smile faded. He looked as if his mind went blank.

"Que?" I said.

"Uh...sorry and I won't care if he gets pissed" he finally said.

"Is there something that you wanna talk about?" I asked.

"Why would you ask me that?" he said trying to manage a smile to give me the impression that nothing was wrong.

"I don't know but it seems like everytime so far that I've asked you about your parents, you act so distant from the subject"

"No, I'm fine. I mean that" he said.

     I shrugged my shoulders and trusted that nothing was wrong.

                                                                                       ********

     We walked into Cold Stone to get our ice cream.

"Hi, are you two ordering together?" the girl behind the counter asked.

"Yeah. Lemme get cookies n' cream in a medium cup" Jacquees said.

     The girl started to scoop up a large ball of cookies n' cream and plopped it into a medium sized cup.

"And for you?" she said pointing her scooper at me.

"Coffee ice cream with gummy bears in a medium cup" I said.

"Ew" Jacquees said under his breath.

     I giggled as I nudged him.

"Shut up" I said.

     The girl had a smile on her face.

"Forgive me if I'm wrong but are you two a couple"