Chapter Fifty-Four

I watched as the guards pulled her into the room each one on either side of her. Her eyes lit up when he saw me. Today she was wearing a long sleeve white shirt but she had on the blue pants that were apart of the all blue uniform she wore when I first came here. She managed a small smile as she approached me. Her hair was out this time and went down to the middle of her back. I liked her hair like that. Normally she would wear a long dress with it but of course times are different now. I stood up and hugged her. She struggled with hugging me back as the distance they left in between the handcuffs was a little bit too small. She and I sat down. One of the guards stood by the table we sat at and the other went by the door. The one by the table nodded at us. I was hoping that today's conversation would go better than the one we had last time.

"Hey, baby" she said sweetly.

"Hi, Ma" I said. "How have you been?"

"Oh, I'm fine...always fine. How are you, hon?"

"I'm okay" I said nonchalantly.

"Just fine? No problems at school or anything? How's that girl of yours? Nicole, right?"

"Yeah, that's her. We aren't doing so well. Me and Janay aren't cool right now either" I said tapping my fingers in the table.

     My mom knew who Janay was because she and I would hang out all of the time after school when my mom used to come pick me up from school.

"Wow. Two girls? What could you have possibly done?"

"Well it's a lot of information to cover but long story short: Nicole broke up with me, I got with Janay to make her jealous, Nicole and I ended up getting back together, Janay is hurt and I ended up telling her the reason why I got with her in the first place. Now she thinks I'm an ass and feels used, Nicole thinks I'm immature and is straight up pissed at me...I'm just in a bad position right now"

"When was all of this?"

"Yesterday. And today at school, they were both giving me the cold shoulder"

"Did you talk to them?"

"No. What would I say? Neither of them want to talk to me right now. Plus, everything they said was right. I am a crappy friend for using Janay for my own wants and it was childish of me to do that to Nicole"

"So tell them that, baby"

"I did. They didn't want to hear it"

"Well you make them listen. Accept nothing less than forgiveness. Right now they probably think that you don't care since you haven't said a word to them. That's why they think you're an ass. But you gotta prove to them that you are different. I know you love those girl. You have your true love and one of your greatest friends. You can't just let them run away from you because of one incident"

     I let my mother's words sink in really well. Maybe she was right. Maybe all I needed to do was just come up with a better approach. Tre and Janay were the only people I trusted and cared about before Nicole came along. Now it's all three of them. I couldn't even imagine what it was like if I lost two of them and I didn't even want to imagine it either. 

"...I guess you're ri-"

"Of course I am" she interrupted with conceit causing me to laugh.

     Then her face became serious and she reached across the table for my hand.

"You know I pray for you...every single night"

     I contorted my face. She prays for me? My mom was never much for Christianity so why the sudden change.