Chapter Twenty-One

The next day at school, I didn't get to see Jacquees in detention because yesterday was his last day. I made my way for the detention room where Officer Asshole was waiting for me outside like he normally was.

"Last day, Ms. Hodges" he said.

"Yeah, I know" I said excitedly (Yes, Hodges is my last name).

"Where's your little boyfriend?" he teased.

"Yesterday was his last day" I replied rolling my eyes.

"Well, get in here. Also, your teachers have some work for you to get caught up on before you go back into their classes again. It's on one of the desks inside.

     I nodded and walked inside to see a bunch of worksheets and textbooks on the desk that I usually sit at. I huffed in annoyance and made my way for the seat. I started to work on Mr. Charleston's work first. I was about 5 minutes into my work when my phone vibrated. I rolled my eyes and pulled it out of my pocket. It wa a text that read: "Hey, Nicole. It's Khalil. How's detention?lol" I couldn't help but smile to myself. I was also very excited about this club that he was taking me to tonight. But I wasn't going to tell Jacquees about it and I was still praying that he wasn't going too. I mean, Khalil did say that practically everybody at school goes there. I started to text him back.

"Detention is detention. How would you expect it to be? And shouldn't you be paying attention in class?"

     I set my phone on the corner of my desk waiting for a response as I continued to work on my assignment. My phone vibrated again as I looked at the screen.

"Well, now I'm doing something more important ;)"

     OH MY GOSH! A winky face?! Nothing could be more flirty than a winky face. Now I felt like I was cheating on Jacquees! I recieved another text.

"You're still going to Karma with me, right?"

"Yes" I responded.

     I was still a little bit nervous about sneaking out of the house and way more nervous about the possibility of Jacquees finding out about this. He was so set on keeping me away from Khalil and he might consider this betrayal. But it's not fair that just because he isn't friends with somebody means that I can't be. But just in case, I sent another text.

"Do you know if Que is coming?"

"Nah, I don't think he is. He never comes out any other Friday".

I was so relieved! Maybe my chances weren't so bad after all.

"Ok good. I don't want ya'll getting into some fight because I came with you"

"lol Nic, chill out! Ain't nothing gonna happen"

     As the day went on, we kept texting and I managed to get a majority of my work done. I was finally let out of detention and went to my locker to get my things. As I was putting my things in my book bag, I saw Khalil standing in front of me.

"What's up?" he said.

     I smiled as I shut my locker door and gave him a hug.

"I'm good! And thanks for keeping me company while I was in detention" I laughed.

"It was nothing. You kept me company too. Ms. Reynolds class is boring as hell!"

     I giggled as we made our way out of the school. I saw my mom pulling into the school.

"Okay, I'll see you later. I gotta go" I said.

"Aight" he said as he hugged me. "I'll see you tonight" he whispered in my ear.

     Strangely, it sent chills down my spine. He walked away for his car and at the same moment, I felt someone grab my arm. I quickly turned around and saw Jacquees with a concerned look on his face.

"I thought I told you to stop talking to him" he snapped.

     I yanked my arm away from him.

"You aren't my fucking father so you don't tell me what to do! I talk to who I want. What's your problem?!"

"I'm trying to protect you!"

"I told you that I can take care of myself! And he's harmless anyway!"

"I don't care! Don't talk to him anymore"

"No! In fact, I'm going to talk to him as much as I want and there isn't shit that you can do about it" I barked as some people coming out of the school looked on.

     He looked at me with a suprised expression. I was surprised at myself too! But this was the only way that I was going to get my point across.

"What happened to you?" he asked as his bright, brown eyes stared into mine with a hurt look.

My mom honked her horn at me. I rolled my eyes and faced Jacquees again.

"Look, I...I'll talk to you la-"

"Nah, don't bother" he said as he turned away from me and then turned back around. "You know, I wanted you because I thought you weren't Keyana or any other girl I've been with. But you ain't no different. And when this nigga hurts you, I hope you see that I was right. We're done!"

     The words stabbed me like a dagger. Did he really just break up with me? We hadn't even been going out for a week! I wanted to rewind everything in my life back to when I was in Georgia and everything seemed perfect. Back to when my dad was still alive, to when Tammy would come over to my house for sleepovers, to when Dre would take me on surprise dates...everything! It all went downhill the second my dad died and the second I stepped foot in L.A.. Now I just screwed over the main person who I thought could take all of that pain away. I made my way for my mom's car trying my best not to show my emotions. I was just ready to go to this party to get my mind off of it all.

                                  ***Jacquees' POV***

     I couldn't believe what just happened! She actually picked him. Everything I did with Nicole was a total waste of time if this is how it ends. If only she knew who Khalil really was. He's a junkie and a player. The guy has been popping and selling pills since he was 15. And he's had to have had sex with almost every freshman that walks into this school! He's only messing with Nicole to get under my skin because he knows that I don't like him. Now he's taken her away from me for good and her life is going to spiral downhill. I would've told Nicole about his ways but I thought she would just trust my word the first time I told her to stay away from him. Now I'm not going to warn her about anything. She'll just have to find out for herself.