Chapter Thirty-One

I was huddled up in bed just thinking over last night. It almost didn't seem real! How could such a big moment turn into one of the worst disasters to ever occur in my life? My ex-boyfriend showed up, me and my current boyfriend's relationship could be in jeopardy because of it, and I have to stay cooped up in this hell hole for the remainder of my punishment which I'm not even in the middle of! I'm only a few weeks into it. Why did my mom have to be so childish? She could've just discussed that night with me, not bring Dre into the mix! 

     Speaking of Dre, my mom is forcing us to go out together somewhere! Really?! It's as if she wants us to get back together even though she know how much crap he put me through when we were. I'm dressed so now I'm just waiting for him to come by. I haven't told Jacquees. His protective instincts might kick in just like they did when I was hanging around Khalil (even though he was right about that situation).

"Nicole, Dre's here!" my mother called.

     I sighed in annoyance and scooped up my purse. I walked out of the house and looked around.

"Where is he?" I asked.

"Outside waiting for you in the car" she said scrolling through her phone.

"Such a gentleman" I said sarcastically. "Wait, what car?"

"The car that I rented for his stay here"

"Wow. You're really going out of your way for him" I scoffed. 

     My mother rolled her eyes and shooed me away. I walked out of the house and locked the door behind me and saw him in a black Mercedes similar to Khalil's car rhythmically tapping on the wheel. I assumed he was listening to music. I opened the door and got in. He just looked at me.

"What?" I asked in annoyance.

"Well, hi to you too"

"Hi" I said in a glum tone as I put  on my seatbelt.

     He scoffed and pulled off. As he continued to drive to wherever he was taking us, we both remained silent. I kept scrolling through my phone just praying that time would fly by already and I wouldn't have to deal with this anymore. We arrived at a stoplight and Dre sighed.

"Look, Nic, can you atleast pretend to enjoy this?" he said.

     I glared at him and then shut off my phone.

"Dre, I don't know how you thought I was going to react to you being here but I'm just going to go ahead and say it: I'm not happy right now. What happened in Georgia was supposed to be stay in Georgia but all you're doing is bringing it here to L.A.!"

     I could see the hurt and sadness in his eyes. I took his hand and rubbed the back of it causing him to look up at me.

"Dre, I really do care about you. You're one of my best friends. But I ended our relationship so that my life here in L.A. wouldn't be miserable and I'm not going to accomplish that if all of these sad reminders of my old life come back in my new one!"

"I understand..." he said taking his hand out of mine and putting it on the steering wheel.

     I felt bad about having to say this to him but how else would he have understood? The light turned green and he started to drive. The car grew silent again and then I really started to feel bad. We pulled up to a Starbucks in the drive-thru. I love Starbucks! It was something that Dre knew all too well. It was where we went on a majority of our dates when we were together all because I asked. I hadn't had Starbucks since I was at the airport coming over here and I almost forgot my craving for it.