Chapter Five

School was finally over for the day. I walked out of the building with Jacquees. I couldn't believe how quickly we bonded. We talked mainly about some of the evenets that occured since the beginning of the day and even shared a laugh here and there. We even exchanged numbers! I looked out into the parking lot and saw my mother's car.

"Oh well, there's my mom" I said moving my head in the direction of her red Buick.

"Okay. So I'll see you tomorrow, right?" he asked.

"Yeah, definitely" I replied with a smile.

"Oh and it was nice meeting you too. It's nice to make a friend on the first day" I added.

"Yeah, you're welcome. I knew how awkward it felt on my first day here so I didn't want you to feel that way" he replied with a chuckle.

     I could tell by his smile that he was glad  that I liked him already. We hugged at that point and after we released each other, I made my way for my mom's car. I saw that her head was up which means that she probably saw me and Jacquees. I was hoping that she hadn't. I entered the car and shut the door.

"Who's he?" she asked which confirmed my suspicions.

     I sighed heavily in annoyance before I answered her.

"He's just a new friend that I made today, Ma" I said buckling my seatbelt.

"You know what I meant. What's his name?"

"Jacquees" I huffed.

     I sat back in my seat and saw Jacquees making his way to the driver's side of a silver Camry. It must have been either his or his father's. 

"So you did make new friends after all" she beamed.

"Just him, Ma. Don't make a big a deal about it, okay?"

"I'm not. I'm just happy that you made a friend today" she stated as she began to pull out of the parking lot.

"Thanks" I replied.

     We drove away from the school. I never thought that I might say this but I actually want to go to school tomorrow.

                                                                           ***Jacquees' POV*** 

     I entered my car and closed the door. I started it up and began to pull out of the parking lot. The entire time I made my way home, I thought of Nicole. I didn't expect to befriend her the way I did. I'm so used to girls throwing themselves at me so when Nicole came, all I could think was "Oh great, another one". But after talking to her today, I realized that she was different than all of them. Hell, different is an understatement. She's smart, kind, and above all she's beautiful. 

     This morning when we were discussing my parents, I did my best to change the subject. I didn't like talking about my parents. Mainly because it effected me a lot. Not to mention that my dad is the head of an insurance company and is very busy so he is an asshole 99% of the time. My mom was on heroine since I was 7 years old. My dad tried to put up with it hoping that she would stop but she just couldn't so he filed for a divorce when I was 9 years old and he won custody of me. My mother went to rehab when I was 13 and has been clean since then. She fought in court to have custody of me but the judge doesn't believe she has changed yet and the best she gets is visitation every weekend. Personally, I'm very proud of her and I believe she has changed.

      I preferred not to tell Nicole all of that until we became closer if we even made it that far. After all, I had just met her. I've trusted too many people and have been backstabbed by even more to just tell someone that kind of information. But I was surprised at Nicole when she had told me no more than 10 minutes after we met that her father had died. I felt bad for her. If I had known that it was the reason she move to L.A., I would have never asked about it. But after geometry class we found so many other fun things to talk about but she was really cool to hang with today.

     I pulled into the driveway of my dad's house and saw that his car was also there which means that he's there too. I sighed heavily before exiting the car and closing the door behind me. I entered the house expecting my dad to find anything to get upset about. I saw him laying on the couch in a tanktop and his work pants. He was sleeping (Thank God!) so I tiptoed to my room and gently shut the door behind me. I tossed my bookbag onto my floor and threw myself on my bed with exhaustion. This might be one of the few days that I get a few minutes of quiet to myself before my dad wakes up and all hell breaks loose.