Chapter Six

The next day I arrived at school, I kissed my mother goodbye and started for the building. As I made my way over, a girl approached me who I recognized from my homeroom but we hadn't talked before.

"Hey, New Girl!" she said stopping me in my tracks.

"H-Hi" I replied startled that she had just approched me like that.

"Where are you from again?" she asked as she moved to the left of me and walked with me.

"Uh, Georgia" I replied.

"Oh cool. But your two months late into the school year. What made you come?" she asked.

     She was annoyingly curious. Again, I would have to tell the sad story that is currently my life.

"I lived with my dad in Georgia but he died so I had to go live with my mom who lives here in L.A."

"Oh sorry about that. I never knew my dad but I have my mom and a little brother" she told me.

"Sorry about your dad" I responded.

"Oh, don't be. I can't be upset about someone I've never met" she scoffed.

"Well, you seem nice so he's missing out" I said trying to lighten the mood.

     She smiled up at me so my words seemed to work.

"Thanks! I'm Lyric by the way" she said as she finally introduced herself.

"I'm Nicole" I replied.

"So do you like L.A. so far?" she asked.

     I was still questioning myself on that as well.

"I suppose. I made a friend but-"

     I looked over at Lyric and she was smiling at the ground.

"What?" I asked not knowing what was so amusing.

"Would that friend happen to be Jacquees?" she said in a teasing tone.

     I couldn't help but smile to myself as well.

"Yes it is. Why?" I asked.

"Do you...like him?" she reluctantly asked.

     I sighed heavily.

"Yeah, he's very nice" I stated knowing that was not was she meant.

"No, I mean do you like him" she confirmed.

     I sighed again not wanting to answer. He was good looking but I didn't know a thing about his personality. All I knew was how he acted yesterday which was pretty likeable. Being with someone like Dre made me more aware of what people could be so I didn't want to jump into conclusions about Jacquees. 

"Um-" I began but the bell luckily rang for school to begin.

"Oh, look at that. We better get to class. Nice meeting you" I quickly said and I speedwalked to Mr. Charleston's class. I think I might have just made another friend.

     The door was already open and I walked inside of the classroom to see Jacquees already in the seat next to my empty one. He was talking to one of the girls in our classroom. She was sitting on his desk smiling and laughing at everything he said! She had her pitch black hair pulled back into a braided bun with some strands of hair hanging in front of her face and she wore a violet mini dress with black high heels. It was highly different in comparison to my grey off-the-shoulder top followed by my skinny jeans and black Converses. I hadn't really done anything to my hair except for brushing it. I took my seat next to him and got myself settled. She didn't seem to pay any attention to me until Jacquees talked to me.

"Hey, Nicole" he beamed.

"Hey" I replied turning my attention from my belongings to him.

     The girl scoffed in annoyance as she rolled her eyes.

"I'll talk to you later, Que" she said.

     She jumped down from the desk and took her seat that was all the way across the room. Jacquees turned his attention to me.

"What was that about?" he chuckled.

     I shrugged. About 15 seconds later, Lyric walked into the classroom and looked over at me and gave me wink. I looked over at Jacquees and he saw it.

"Ok, I know you know what that one was about"

     I shook my head knowing fully well the reason why she did that. But if I told Jacquees, it would make our entire newborn friendship awkward. 

"I just met her this morning" I said.

     I wasn't technically lying. All he did was smile at me.

"Well Lyric is a really cool person so I think you'll like her" he said.

"She's pretty curious too and could talk for days" I chuckled.

     He started to laugh.

"That's true as well" he agreed.

     At that point, Jacquees looked at me up and down as if to analyze me. I looked at him in the corner of my eye and when he wouldnt' stop I looked at him fully.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked with a smile.

      Jacquees looked down in his lap with an embarrassed look on his face. He probably didn't realize that he was staring. 

"Nothing's wrong. It's just nice to have a friend that's a girl that has other interests that don't involve trying to get with you"

"Girls like the one that was all up on your desk just a few minutes ago that was looking at me some type of way" 

     Jacquees laughed at my remark.

"Yeah, girls like those. I swear she dresses up more like a skank every day!" he whispered.

"Well maybe you should stop flattering them" I sarcastically whispered back.

"Believe me, my conversations with them aren't any different than the conversations I'm having with you right now"

"Then what were you telling her that was so funny?" I asked.

"If asking how she was is a joke, then I guess that's what I told her" he said rolling his eyes.

     I laughed at his statement. I was pleased that he found me different than all of the other girls that he's ever met. At that moment, Mr. Charleston walked into the room and shut the door behind him.

"All right, everyone, class is in session!"

 (Picture of Lyric on the side)