Chapter Fourteen

I made an attempt to hurry up and go to my room before my mom came into the house but she was following behind me so it was pretty hard. I shuffled toward my room as she closed the door behind us.

"Get your ass back her, Nicole" she called.

     I rolled my eyes and turned around to face her.

"Who the hell was that?" she asked. "The boy from school?"

"Yes, I got a ride from Lyric and he kinda...followed us here-"

"And he kinda stuck his tongue down your throat too" she said with a smug grin. "Mmhmm, I saw that" she chuckled as she walked into the kitchen and placed her purse on the counter.

"I kissed him, Mom, and he didn't stick his tongue down my throat" I replied.

"Ooh, so are you guys together now?"

"I don't know" I sighed. "We don't know"

"Nic" she said as she walked up to me and lifted up my head by my chin. "All I have to say is don't open up that door until you close the other one. It'll only lead to disaster"

     And I knew exactly what she was talking about: Dre. Just when I thought that I was through with him, he popped right back into my mind at the same moment that I was ready to rid myself of Jacquees. He's the door that I need to close. I can't have him open up everytime me and Jacquees have a disagreement because like my mother said: It'll only lead to diaster. She moved away from me, took up her purse, and walked away to go to her bedroom.

"You should invite him over for dinner over the weekend. I wanna meet him" she said.

"Okay" I responded.

     Thinking about Dre all of the time was really starting to annoy me but on the other hand, it was making me want to talk to him even more. I quickly went inside of my room and locked the door so that my mother wouldn't walk in on me because I was about to call him and she can become so nosey at times when it comes him. I scrolled through my contacts and found his name on there and for reasons I still couldn't understand, I had well over 8 love and kissy icons next to his name. Maybe it meant that I still had feelings for him because not only that, I wasn't willing to delete those off of his contact. I reluctantly but eventually clicked on his number and put the phone up to my ear. I waited anxiously as the phone just kept ringing...and ringing...and ringing...

"Hello?" Dre said on the other line but he didn't sound so happy to talk.

"Hey! Um...how are you?" I asked hoping that there weren't any hard feelings between us.

"Eh, I've been better. I guess I don't need to ask how you're doing..." he sighed.

    I really didn't mean to hurt his feelings when we broke up but it seemed like it was the only way at the time. But after having some time to think things over, I decided to at least attempt to make amends.

"Look, Dre, I promise you that I didn't intentionally hurt you. If I did, I'm sorry. But let's be real for a moment: Am I the only person who's fouled up before?"

"Nic, I never said you were! In fact, I ain't even worried about the break up. It's the 'I love you' part that I wanna talk about"

"Dre, I understand if it was just something that slipped out. It's-"

"Oh no, I meant to say it. I'm pissed because you didn't say it back. Even if we still did end up breaking up, I still would've had that to hold onto. We would've had a better chance at being friends. Now look at where we're at. We're both confused, lost, and I might regret saying this but we both still have feelings for each other, don't we?"

     I didn't want to admit it but he was right. We had been together for quite a while and have known each other for even longer to just throw away our entire friendship like we almost did so I did still have feelings. And I also was confused. I'm torn between the guy I know and love and the guy I just met and like. What would anyone do in this situation?

"We do" I replied. "And Dre, I do love you, okay? But you have to picture what it's like from my perspective. All of this shit with my dad dying and on top of that, I had you yelling at me about I move that I couldn't even control, and now I've just met..." I paused.

     I almost mentioned Jacquees. I wasn't ready to mention him until Dre regained my trust and I knew that he would be cool with it. I didn't want to push the envelope with Dre.

"...this friend who has been helping me through all of it. You think I didn't have a reason for breaking up with you? I was just relieving some of the pressure that was already on my back but I didn't want to lose us forever"

"And you haven't lost us, Nic. And I know you've been through a lot of shit and me getting mad at you wasn't to add on any more pressure. It was just all hitting me so fast that the girl that I've known forever and loved was going to be leaving me for good. You would probably go crazy too!"

"Dre, I just...look, I didn't call you for another argument. I called to just explain myself and confirm that there isn't any tension between us because frankly, I don't feel like losing another part of me. I love you so much"

I could hear him sigh over the phone.

"I love you too. And yeah, I would like to be friends again"

"THANK YOU" I exclaimed as he chuckled.

"Now we're good. So tell me how life is in Georgia"