Chapter Thirty-Four

I stood by Tre's locker waiting for him to arrive like he had told me to. I could hear footsteps turning the corner and saw him. He motioned for me to follow him. We walked over to the main office and signed out. We were required to do that so that the school could make sure that we didn't just skip school during lunch. Afterward, we walked out and saw Jacquees leaned up against his car. His face flushed as soon as he saw us which was obviously because of me. We walked over to him and just awkwardly stood there for a while. Jacquees glared at Tre looking for an explanation probably.

"I invited her" Tre finally said biting his lip.

     Jacquees then turned his gaze to me and I managed a slight smile. He just shook his head and made his way for the driver's side door and entered slamming it. Tre just shrugged at me and got in the passenger side and I got in the back. The drive was annoyingly quiet but I didn't try to say anything. I thought that it was just best to keep my mouth shut for now because I can only imagine how pissed Jacquees is. We finally pulled up at a McDonalds and got out. I guess we were eating inside. We got in line, paid for our own food, and found a table. We ate for a while all of us on our phones. Suddenly Tre got up and brushed off his clothes to rid of the crumbs.

"I'm gonna go use the bathroom" he said giving me a look.

     He was basically telling me to use this time to talk to Jacquees. Jacquees nodded taking a sip of his drink. As Tre walked away, I just slumped in my seat not sure what to say. I looked at Jacquees and he was just on his phone expressionless.

"So um...how have you been?" I asked.

     He looked up at me and set his phone down on the table.

"Fine" he simply said.

     I nodded and dipped one of my nuggets into my barbeque sauce. I took a bite looking out of the window that we were sitting next to.

"Um-"

"Don't try to explain yourself, Nic"

     I was surpised and raised an eyebrow.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Uh, because you can't" he said. "You practically wasted your time coming here with Tre and I"

     I started to get angry. This lunch was going way different than I had imagined.

"What's your problem? I came here to apologize and make amends"

"And like I said, you wasted your time coming here. You tried to apologize a week ago and you're gonna get the same answer you got then. I don't forgive you. Did you think that I was going to change my mind because I've had some time to calm down?" he scoffed.

"Yeah, especially when you processed the fact that I said that I was in love with you"

"Now here's the thing, you remember when you told me that your ex said that he loved you right when you were breaking up with him and you didn't want to buy into it because you were afraid that he might've just pulled that out to keep you?"

"Are you suggesting that that's what I'm doing?"

"No, I know that that's what you're doing"

      I was so appalled. Who did he think he was? 

"Que, I said that because I meant it. And little do you know that Dre is the one who told me to tell you how I feel. And you can't sit here and tell me that you don't feel the same way"

     Jacquees didn't say anything else which broke me even more. Maybe he really wasn't in love with me. Maybe I misread all of those signs. 

"Wow...you know, you're right...I shouldn't have came" I said.