Chapter Forty-Three

I walked through Target still clueless as to what to get Jacquees for his birthday. I had hoped that coming here might give me some ideas but so far, there was nothing. I was ready to leave until my eyes landed on the music section. I knew how much Jacquees absolutely loved music. He sang too! I had caught him singing one day while we were still going out and he seemed a little embarassed. Then I finally convinced him to sing something to me and he's pretty good. I looked through all of the artists. I knew that he had Michael Jackson so I didn't even bother looking there. I didn't bother with the rap section either. Then I saw it and knew that this was the gift. Chris Brown's brand new album "X". It just came out so there was no way that he could've gotten it yet. I'm pretty sure that I would know anyway. He brags about every other album he has. Plus, he told me that Chris Brown was one of his biggest inspirations so I knew he would like my gift. My only hope was that someone else didn't get it for him.

     I got a bag with some tissue paper because I was terrible at wrapping presents. I went to get him a card and looked for one that didn't have a lot of words in it. I wanted to do all of the writing. I had a lot to say to him anyway. As I went to the self-check out to purchase my items, I took out my phone and went to my calendar to see the information that I had put in for the party. It was April 15th at his house at 8 pm. There was only 12 more days until the party and I still hadn't asked my mom if I could go. I hadn't asked her if I could go on that "date" with Willie this weekend either. I was convinced that she would say no anyway. Her work schedule is so tight lately and I knew she would hesitate to let me go. She was waiting outside for me to come back to the car. I gave the machine a $20 bill and picked up my change putting it into my purse too lazy to get my wallet out. I took my plastic bag and walked to the car. I got in and looked at her biting my lip. She was on her phone looking through her e-mail.

"Mom..." I said prepared to ask her.

"Yes, baby" she said still looking at her phone.

"So um...Jacquees is having a birthday party at his house" I said still biting my lip.

     Mom sighed looking up from her phone.

"When is it?" she asked.

"The 15th at 8" I answered.

     She took the pins out of her hair and let her short black hair fall down to her shoulders. She ran her hands through it and sighed.

"I'll pick you up at around 10:30" she finally said.

     I smile spread across my face. I wanted to reach over and hug her for hours but I thought that would be a little bit too much.

"Since you haven't done anything to mess up you punishment period, I'll give you this little bit of freedom" she sighed.

"Thank you so much, Mom" I said.

     She waved me off but I knew that she wanted to smile too. I immediately got on my phone and told Jacquees that I was coming to the party and my mom drove off.

"Good!" he responded. "But you betta have my present"

     I laughed.

"I already got it lol" I replied.

"Oooo what'd you get me?"

"You'll see at the party. You're gonna love it. I promise"

"-_- okay"

     I was struggling to decide whether I should ask my mom if I could out with Willie on Saturday. I was ready to move on from Jacquees as quickly as possible. I looked over at my mom and her eyes were glued to the road.

"Mom" I said.

"Yes, Nicole?" she sighed.

"Can I go somewhere on Saturday?" I asked as I looked out of the window not being able to bear seeing her facial expression.

"Where are you going now?" she asked annoyed.

"I don't know. The person is just taking me out"

"Is it a boy?" she asked.

     I nodded still looking out of the window.

"I told him that I would have to ask you first" I said biting my lip now.

"Okay" she sighed.

"Okay what?" I asked.

"Okay, you can go" she said. 

"Really?!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah. I'm starting to trust you again"

"Hm...and I'm starting to like you again" I said with a smile.

     She laughed.

"Gee thanks" she finally said. "I'm just tired of seeing you mope around the house all of the time. You need a new guy in your life" she finished.

     I shrugged in agreement.

"Thanks, Mom" I said as I began to text Willie.

     I hadn't texted him at all since he gave me his number. I was too scared to. What would I have said? He was probably regretting giving me his number. He probably thought that I didn't like him.

"Hey, Willie. It's Nicole. I just wanted to tell you that I convinced my mom and it looks like we can go out on Saturday!" I typed.

"Great. We'll go to lunch at 3. Just text me your address and stuff on Saturday and I'll pick you up" he replied.

"Cool. See you then!"