Chapter Three

***One Week Later***

     Today is my first day of school. Mom already got me all of my school supplies. Dre was still on my mind. I haven't talked to him since I was at the airport a week ago because I had to think about things and also because I was spending time with my Mom. So I had some time to myself last night and I texted him (I still wasn't ready to actually speak to him)and asked him where we stand in our relationship. But instead of texting back, he called me. I reluctantly picked up the phone and he went right into explaining himself. He was talking about how he misses me and doesn't think that having a long distance relationship will last. I told him that I needed time to think about everything because even I wasn't ready for us to have a long distance relationship.

     Right now, I need to put everything that's going on in Georgia on hold so that I can focus on what's going on here.

"NICOLE, YOU READY?!" my mom called.

"UH, YEAH" I replied.

     I shook myself from all of my thoughts and focused on the main task here: get to school. I scooped up my binder and purse and took one last look in the mirror. I played with my hair a little and walked up to my mom who was waiting in the kitchen with a suit on. She has a job as partner at one of the biggest law firms in Los Angeles and her schedule was pretty packed today so we had to hurry.

"After I drop you off at school, I'm going to work" she stated.

"Okay" I said.

     She grabbed my hand and placed the key to the house in it.

"Just in case I have to work late or something" she said with a smile.

     We left the house and got into the car and I was still nervous about school.

"So how are you feeling about school, right now?" my mom said with an eager smile.

     I sighed heavily.

 "I'm not sure yet. Part of me is excited and the other part is scared. I don't know what the other kids are gonna think or...I just don't know yet"

     Mom just laughed at my response.

"Nic, I think you'll fit in just fine. Just be you"

     "Just be you?" That's all I get? It's going to take a little bit more advice than that to get over my anxiety right now. We drove in silence for about 5 minutes before we actually approached the school. I took another deep breath. My mom parked in front of the main entrance.

"Okay. I'll be here to pick you up at 2:30" she said smiling again.

"All right. Bye, Mom" 

     I gave her a hug and exited the car shutting the door behind me. As I approached the double doors that led to the inside of the building, I could hear my mom driving off. As I entered, the main office was to my right. There was a lady at the front desk.

"Hello. How may I help you?" she asked as she plastered a welcoming smile onto her face.

     I pulled out my schedule from the inside of my purse.

"Hi. Um, could you tell me where Room 125 is? I'm new"

"Well I'm sure you'll love it here" she said as she leaned over, opened a drawer, and pulled out a map of the entire school. 

     She took out a red Sharpie and put a star next to Room 125 so that I knew where it was. I thanked her and walked through the school with the map in my hands as a guide. When I approached Room 125, I knocked on the door and waited for about 15 seconds before a man with short brown hair and glasses who looked like he was in his mid-40s opened the door.

"You must be Nicole. I'm Mr. Charleston" he said with an outstretched hand.

     I shook it with the best smile that I could manage. He beckoned me to come into the classroom as he shut the door behind me. I stood in front of the class as they all stared which made me even more nervous.

"Class" Mr. Charleston said in a load and clear voice. "This here is Nicole. She is a new student. She just moved from Georgia. I want you all to show her your upmost respect and courtesy. Nicole, you can sit next to Jacquees" he said as he pointed to a seat in the middle row next to the window.

     Next to the empty seat was a boy who looked no older than 16 with dreads and these big, sparkly brown eyes. His brown skin went perfectly with it all as if it were the finishing touch to his entire build up. I couldn't tell what he was wearing from where I stood though. I slightly smiled at everyone before I made my  way for my seat. As I approached the seat next to Jacquees, he smiled widely at me as if to welcome me to the class. I swear it was the best smile I have ever seen on any guy including Dre. A smile that also lessened my nervousness. Hopefully my new partner would be a start to making my life here in L.A. a good one.