Chapter Seven

It was now lunchtime which is probably the most embarrassing time of day for me. Being the new girl, no one is going to sit next to me since I haven't made that many friends which makes me look like a loser. Jacquees is usually hanging out with other people during lunchtime so I'm a loner basically. As I got out of the line, I went to my usual spot which was in the middle of the lunchroom next to a few other kids but they didn't seem to pay attention to me. As I began to unwrap my sub, I saw Jacquees come over to where I was sitting and he sat across from me.

"Why don't you sit with me and my friends?" he asked with a curious look on his face.

     I just shook my head.

"They wouldn't like me" I replied.

     He looked at me as if I was crazy and uncapped his juice.

"That's insane. Why would you think that?" he asked.

"Because I have no friends so they won't want anything to do with me" I complained.

"No friends? What about me?" he asked with an offended look. 

"And me?" a voice said from behind.

     I looked over my shoulder and saw Lyric standing behind me. 

"Hey, Que" she said.

     Jacquees gave her a small wave but his facial expression still showed how upset he was. Lyric squeezed into a space between me and some boy.

"Of course you guys are my friends but I meant more friends"

     A smile suddenly spread across his face.

"Well if you wanted to make more friends, why didn't you just say so? The fair is going to be in town this weekend and everybody is going to be there. We could introduce you to everybody there"

     It was a good idea to become familiar with the people I was going to be around for the next few years. I looked over at Lyric to see if she would be willing to come too.

"If you wanna do it, then I got you" she said.

     I was still hesitant to give my response.

"When is it?" I asked.

"Saturday at 7. Everybody is gonna be there" he repeated.

"I would have to ask my mom if she can-"

"Girl, I can pick you up and take you" Lyric said with a smile.

     I looked down at the lunch table and then up at Jacquees. His face was full of hope. I shrugged my shoulders and sighed.

"Fine I'll go" I finally said.

     She squeaked with excitement and wrapped her arms around me.

 "Can I eat my food now?" I giggled.

     They laughed along with me. About 5 minutes later, a boy who looked about the same age as Jacquees came and sat next to him with his tray of food. He was a little more taller and skinnier than Jacquees. He had light skin and a gentle shade of brown in his eyes that could hypnotize you for hours.  His head was shaved in a fade haircut and he wore a black snapback to go with his black Last Kings t-shirt. I couldn't tell what else he was wearing since he was sitting down.

"What's up, Que?" he said.

"Sup" he replied followed by a fist bump.

"Hey, Tre" Lyric gushed.

"Hey, Lyric" Tre responded.

     There was an awkward silence for about 45 seconds before Tre finally acknowledged me.

"Hi, New Girl" he said.

     I shyly waved at him.

"That's Nicole" Jacquees said for me.

"Oh. Well, I'm Tre" he said to me.

"Hi, Tre" I replied.

"So, Nicole" he said popping a tatertot into his mouth. "Are you going to the fair this weekend?"

"Yeah" I answered.

"They finally fixed the Gravitron" 

"Good, I'm getting on that!" Lyric said.

"Well we'll see how 'awesome' it is this weekend" I said.

"It's not better than the Ring of Fire though" Jacquees added.

"Bruh, you were too scared to go on the Ring of Fire last year. I practically had to drag you onto that ride" Tre chuckled.

     Jacquees had an embarrassed look on his face as the rest of us laughed. 

"That's not true" Jacquees protested.

"Yeah it is. Keyana was braver than you and that was your girlfriend" 

     I nearly froze when I heard those words. I had hoped that my reaction wasn't noticeable. As Tre and Jacquees continued to argue about what occured last year, I leaned over to whisper something to Lyric.

"Who's Keyana?" I asked.

     Lyric smiled as she whispered back to me.

"The girl over there in the violet mini dress" she answered nudging her head to my left.

     Again, I almost froze as I reluctantly turned and saw Keyana over at the table that Jacquees normally would be and...it was the same girl from homeroom! No wonder she gave me such a dirty look this morning. She was jealous! I looked over at Lyric and she was still smiling.

"What?" I asked.

"You do like him"

     I looked over at Jacquees and he looked like he didn't hear us because he was still talking to Tre. 

"Like I said before: he's really nice"

"Mmhmm. I meant to give you this in homeroom" she said as she pulled a half sheet out of her shirt pocket and handed it to me.

"When you feel like telling me the truth, you can call me or something" she said.

     I rolled my eyes at her comment. I don't like Jacquees...I hope.

 (Picture of Tre on the side)