Chapter Thirty

Today was the day that would either make or break Jacquees and I. He was going to have to meet my mother! I was still a little bit worried about it though. Not because I thought that Jacquees would say something to mess it up. I trusted him. I just thought that despite this dinner my mother would still find something that she didn't like about him because she was just that kind of person. I had just finished setting up the table. My mother started to set the food out.

     Corn, curry chicken, macaroni and cheese, roast beef, and mashed potatoes. I hope Jacquees liked this. At the same moment that my mom had set the last piece of food on the table, the doorbell rang.

"Hmph! He's on time. There's a good start"

     I smiled and mentally thanked God. I think I'm more nervous than I should be and maybe more nervous than Jacquees. She opened the door and said "Hello, Mr. Broadnax" meaning that it was obviously Jacquees. After hearing them talk faintly, she finally moved out of the way and he entered. I walked over to him and we embraced. I couldn't help but to smile. My mother rolled her eyes and split us apart.

"Have seat, guys" she said with the fakest smile I've ever seen.

     We sat there eating and gave mostly small talk for the next five minutes. Everything actually seemed to be going well. But then my mom asked the question that made me want to slap her in her face!

"So Jacquees, what do your parents do?"

     My head shot up. I looked over at Jacquees to see him fumbling with his mashed potatoes with a sad expression.

"You don't have to answer that" I whispered to him.

     He simply shook his head at me and looked at my mother with the best smile that he could manage.

"Well, my mom is having problems right now but my dad has his own insurance company"

     Actually, his mother has a job at Wal-Mart. He just knew that my mother would judge an answer like that.

"Oh, which one?" she asked looking more interested.

"Uh, Wesnax Inc."

     My mother's mouth dropped wide open.

"Y-Your father is Wes Broadnax?"

"Um...yes. Is there a problem?"

"No, I just wasn't expecting that! I admire your father. Quite the businessman" she smiled.

     I could see it on Jacquees' face that he wanted to tell my mother who his dad really was but he decided to keep it to himself.

"Thank you, Mrs. Parker. That means a lot" he smiled as he shoveled a piece of curry chicken into his mouth.

     Suddenly, the doorbell rang. My mother wiped her hands with her napkin and dusted herself off.

"I wonder who that could be" she stated as she got up and went to the front door.

     I didn't know who else would be coming here on a Saturday but I didn't worry about it too much.

"OH! What a lovely surprise!" my mother exclaimed. "Come in, come in" she said moving out of the way for this person to enter.

     As they did so, my mouth dropped wide open. IT WAS DRE! My mother just stood there cheesing as if she found this situation somewhat amusing but it was just awkward!

"Dre, would you like some food. We had just started dinner a few minutes ago" I heard her say as she closed  and locked the front door back.

     I cursed to myself and held up a finger to Jacquees telling him that I would be right back. I got up and walked over to the two.