Chapter Thirty-Eight

It's been two weeks so far and I've managed to contain my feelings for Jacquees. Of course they were still there and seeing him and Janay all cuddled up everywhere wasn't helping at all. He and I still weren't friends and still weren't talking. All we talked about was schoolwork, that is if we were partners for that particular class. But anything other than that, we just don't talk. It's weird. We used to talk to each other everyday but now it's almost like we were never acquainted. I sat  under a nearby tree on a hill with my bag next to me and my phone in my hand as I watched the football team. We had an in-school football game today against one of our rivals which allowed us to get out of our last two periods but only if you bought a ticket. I only bought one so that I could come up here and clear my head of everything. It was nice.

      Suddenly, Jacquees walked over and sat down next to me with only his binder. I nervously squirmed in the grass beneath me. I still wasn't used to his presence. His face seemed more relaxed today. He usually tensed up whenever he got within a few feet of me like I was the flu or something but today he seemed fine. He brought his knees up a little and hung his arms over them resting his back and head against the tree. He looked down at the field watching the football team. A roar emerged from the crowd as we scored a first down. I wasn't a big fan of football but I knew how it went because that was all Dad used to watch so I was forced to watch it too and he taught me everything about it.

"Why are you up here?" he asked.

     I just shrugged.

"I saw this place a while back and thought that it would be a good spot to hang out one day and just...forget about everything I guess. To think about stuff"

"It is" he said.

"You've been here before?"

"Yeah, I come here all of the time. Mostly to clear my head up. With a life like mine, I need this place"

"So something's wrong?" I asked.

"I just needed to talk to you"

     I raised an eyebrow. What could he need to talk to me about. He had Janay, he had Tre, and he had the rest of the school to turn to. We hadn't talked in weeks and the only reason why I'm not popping off on him right now is for the sake of my sanity and I'm not in the mood for drama.

"I think this has gone on for long enough, Nic, don't you?" he sighed running his hands through his dreads.

     I slowly nodded fumbling with my finger tips.

"I haven't been fine these past few days" he said with his head down. "I kept on thinking about who I could talk to about it and all I could think of was you"

     I looked at him and turned around to fully face him.

"Well what's wrong?" I asked.

    He took a deep breath and looked into my eyes with a look of slight anger and major upset.

"My mom...she got hooked up on drugs again"

     My eyes widened.

"Ms. Pam? What happened?"

"Apparently, my dad tipped off the police and told them that he thought my mom was up to no good. Like he had a feeling that she was doing something wrong. So, the police broke into her apartment and saw her drugged up in bed...heroine" he said shaking his head and looking down.

"Que, I'm sorry" I sighed. "You really don't deserve this"

"Thanks. I'm just...I don't know what to do now. Both of my parents are fucked up. My dad didn't have to get my mom locked up and my mom could've resisted those damn drugs" he said putting his face in his hands.