Chapter 52: Regress and Progress

Ike's POV

"Today we'll be having a race!" Professor Sivera declared to the whole class on our first major activity for November.

He clicked his fingers and an obstacle course suddenly appeared behind him.

"You all worked in groups of four or three in the first term. After evaluating your overall progress in my subject, I have decided that from now on, you're just going to work in pairs in all of your twice-a-month major activity-"

"Twice-a-month?" tanong naman ni Jack.

"Yes, Jack. Twice-a-month na ngayon ang major activities ninyo. At dadalas pa 'yun lalo sa bawat term ninyo dito sa Emerald," sagot ni Professor Sivera.

"Nice," sabi naman ni Alice. Even our classmates muttered excitedly.

"For today's activity, there is a "bomb" located at the very end of the obstacle course. You have to retrieve it and bring it back to your starting lane where a charm has been cast to disarm it. The time limit is 20 minutes. If you weren't able to bring the "bomb" to the starting lane within the time limit then it will explode. But don't worry, the explosion won't kill you. We tried to make the bomb as realistic as possible so it is advisable for you to handle it carefully. The obstacle course runs for 5 kilometers so you should plan with your partner for your strategy," Professor Sivera explained.

"And the Scavengers?" Jack asked apprehensively.

Ngumiti na lang si Professor Sivera. "They are a part of our major activity, of course. They will try to snatch the bomb from you and just like what you have experienced a few days ago, they've been programmed to give you minor injuries. Don't worry, they will only be released once you retrieve the bomb."

"Damn it," bulong ni Jack.

"Any questions?" tanong ni Professor Sivera. "None? Good. Then our first pair is..."

A fishbowl suddenly appeared on his hand. He then picked two pieces of paper before reciting the names written on them.

"Lunaria and..."

"Who?" tanong naman agad bigla ng mga kaklase ko.

"Abareñas."

Bigla namang napahiyaw si Jack. "Yes! Back off, guys. I'm just going to talk to my bro slash the best student in Combat Ed slash the best planner in our section," sabi niya sabay kaladkad sa 'kin papunta sa isang tabi.

"Stop bragging about me," I said to him as we sat in a corner.

"'Di mo ba 'yun nakita? Na-excite bigla ang lahat nung pangalan mo ang tinawag. Anyway, what's the plan?" tanong niya.

I just rolled my eyes. "Fine. It is impossible for us to reach the end of the 5-kilometer obstacle course within just 20 minutes. I think that all of our classmates with good mobility will be paired with those who are not-"

"Seryoso? We're both an Elemental, bro. I can glide or fly and you can do whatever the hell you want," sagot ni Jack.

"I'm still hopeless in mobility. Ni hindi ko pa nga kayang kontrolin nang matino ang kahit isa sa mga elements. Anyway, I think we should just glide towards the end of the obstacle course-"

"We can fly, bro. Bibitbitin kita," sabi niya.

"Papunta lang sa dulo ng obstacle course. Sa oras na makuha na natin ang bomba eh hindi na tayo pwedeng lumipad," sagot ko.

"Why?"

"Remember the Scavengers? Bibitbitin mo ako tapos ako ang may hawak sa bomba. We don't have any hand to use. We are going to fly towards the end of the obstacle course and once we retrieve the bomb we're just going to glide back to the starting lane. Can you strap the bomb in my back with your ice?" tanong ko.