Chapter 60

"Callie where were you?!" Alex jumped from the kitchen counter when I strode in from the front door.

"I can't talk right now," I eyed her from the side and with the little amount of energy I had, my feet went step by step to my room.

My room was still in a mess like we left it before prom. Make up was scattered over my desk along with clothes strung throughout the room. The purple comforter was scrunched up in a slouchy mess at the end of the bed exposing the polka dot sheets.

I sat on the corner of the bed and bowed my head slowly as tears rolled down my cheeks.

"Callie?" Minnie knocked on the hardwood door of my room, pushing it open to reveal the hot mess before her, me.

"He left me. And...and I don't understand why..." My aching shoulders shook and my heart flooded with emotion again.

Minnie paced her way to me and pulled me into her arms as I cried and cried.

"I'm so sorry Cal. Boys are stupid. I can't imagine what you're going through right now. It's going to take time, sweetheart. Things will be easier. I can't promise it won't hurt anymore by then, but you won't cry over that disgusting dick head," she rubbed my back as my tears continued.

"I'm sorry for what I said to you," my voice crumbled.

"You're angry. I understand why you said it. Thanks for the apology though," Minnie pulled me back and wiped my face of tears.

"I can't believe I'm crying over a boy," I shook my head in disbelief. "Eight months ago I would have never believed I would be doing this. Harry was supposed to just be a friend."

"Alaric was supposed to just be my friend, too," Minnie tucked my hair behind my ear. "Sometimes we fall and we can't help it. Heartbreak is normal. Loving someone is normal. Just never be sorry that you showed someone love. Love is the most powerful energy we have as humans. Don't ever be sorry that you showed Harry who you are and what was in your heart."

I nodded my head and ran my hand over my part in my hair, scraping my hair back out of my face. My lips were chapped and my head pounded with a throbbing migraine.

"How long did it take you to get over James?" I brought my eyes to meet Minnie's.

"Ha," she laughed and then looked down at her twiddling fingers. "I think I stopped being attracted to him when I found out Alaric was trying to court me. That was three years ago. But I love James, I always will.

"I'll love his family. I'll love his boys, and Daphne and Sabrina. They were once my family and I can't bare to see them fall apart even if James cheated on me," Minnie stood up from the bed and began picking up loose clothing around the room.

"Do you love Alaric more?"

"I love Alaric in a different way. Alaric makes me happy in a way different than James ever made me happy. Alaric is caring and sweet. James was adventurous and daring. Alaric will promise something and he'll stick to that while James never did. It's a different kind of love. It's no better or no worse, just different," Minnie smiled a warm smile and carried all of the dirty clothes from my room.

I looked out my window from my bed and fought the urge to punch it then jump out. I missed school today and I didn't want to go back tomorrow with people staring and starting rumors. Maybe if I find a way...

My feet carried me from my bedroom to the bathroom across the hall. I heard Alex's feet frittering down the hall to her room as if she didn't want to be seen or heard.

I shut the door with creaking hedges filling the silence. The soles of my feet pattered to the bathtub and I grabbed for the razor I shaved my legs with. Breaking the razor with the soap dispenser on the sink, I pulled out a blade. I can run it across my skin and I'll be ok. I'll be ok. I'll be ok.