Chapter 6

"Cal where's Alex?" Alaric asked as he slipped through the front door of his house. I sat on the couch reading the last of my book assignment.

"She's at work. A kid fron school took her," I said unenthusiasticly. I closed my book shut and tried to make my way upstairs. My bare feet padded across the wooden floor to the staircase landing on the first step.

"Callie, stop," he ordered. With one foot up, I turned around.

"What?" I sighed.

"Next time please tell me. I don't want you to be miserable here. I want to help you. Not everyone wants to see you hurt like the kids at school."

"Alright," I eyed him. I knew Alaric meant well, but he wanted to know every little thing. And that wasn't about to happen. Hell to the no.

"What were you and Harry talking about outside? It seemed heated."

Oh, what an observation. "He's an asshole. Does that give you a clue?" I had never cussed in front of him before, so I didn't know how he would take it. Thankfully, he took it well and laughed, walking towards the steps and me.

"Harry may seem like that, but just give him some time. He doesn't like change and new people. Harry has been through a lot. I've known him since he was a child when James adopted him and Charles from Cheshire Orphanage. He just has a funny way of showing he cares."

"I don't want to talk about it anymore," I said tucking my hair behind my ear.

"Alright fair enough. But tonight's Vincent's party. It's at their house so you might want to get ready soon."

Birthday party? Are you kidding me Alaric?!

"What do I need to wear?" I asked in thought wondering how nice of a party it was going to be seeing all their nice cars.

"I don't know. Whatever girls wear to party's, " he shrugged taking his tennis shoes off at the door.

I jumped up the stairs and pulled out a long sleeve dress. My bestfriend from back home got it for me before I left. The black knit would keep me warm enough during the night and wherever the party was held. I took a shower and Alex arrived home soon after.

"There's a party?" she became excited. Her fingers tore through her stacks of clothing and decided on a tight red dress and a baby blue chiffon one.

"I like the red one," I told her as she stood staring at the two for a long minute.

"Good! I knew you would like that one too!" she said throwing the fabric to me.

"What?" I asked puzzled by her actions.

"Put it on!" she exclaimed like it was totally obvious.

"No way!" I laughed. She then strutted over to me and pushed my shoulders down making me sit on the bed with her looming over me.

"Please Callie!" she snickered. "You should be thanking me right now. Look at what you're wearing. That will kill your social ranking," she spoke like she was helping me out. I couldn't help the red that came to my cheeks. Was it really that bad?

"I'll wear the dress," I bit my lip. I had never worn anything like this before. What will it look like on me?

I pulled the knit sweater dress from my head and scooted on the tight red dress. I stumbled to the mirror that hung behind our closed door.

My hip bones poked the fabric of the dress and you could clearly see the bones like they were molded into it. The dress fell to about mid-thigh making my legs look longer than what they were. The material looked extravagant against my pale skin. My dark brown hair cascaded across my shoulders in it's natural wave. I grabbed the red lipstick from my makeup case and applied a coat along with some mascara on my lashes.