Chapter 28

"Alaric! I'm so glad you're home!" I ran to him, encasing my whole torso around him.

"I heard you guys had a bad snow storm the last few days. I couldn't get in town!" he frowned as he sat his suitcases down at the front door. He looked like he hadn't slept for days. This business of his must be pretty stressful.

"Yeah it was bad," I nodded. "Listen so...Harry and Minnie spent the night the last two days because we kind of had some trouble. And it's all taken care of now...but...Alex your turn," I rushed as Alaric gave me a glare of disapproval.

"Umm..." Alex stared anywhere but Ric's face. Minnie descended the stairs with a new clean bandage over her skin.

"Shit Minnie!" he ran to the woman walking the steps down. He grabbed her shoulders and looked over her sad face. "Did he do this to you?"

Her face fell and she cradled into his front crying. The way he held her made me wish that Harry and I looked like that. He brushed her hair as her body shook uncontrollably in his arms. Harry came out of the kitchen from the breakfast he'd made us.

"Alaric!" he smiled and I quickly ran to him to shut him up, we didn't need him ruining what Ric and Minnie had going on at the second.

Harry looked at me confused as I pushed him back into the kitchen.

"Why? What's wrong?" he grabbed my wrists that were pushing at his pecks.

"Shhhhh!!!" I whispered angrily as I successfully got him to the kitchen. "We're trying to get Minnie and Ric together! So let them have their moment!"

His face, now amused, began to shift from worry to happiness.

"Oh really,?" he laughed as he turned and headed for the kitchen table to sit around. I followed after him and sat across the table. "You know she used to date James when I was younger. They broke up so terribly. It was awful and very, very public."

"What happened?"

"Well long story short...James cheated on her."

"That's why she hates you and your family..." I sighed finally seeing the reason why she had told me to steer clear of them all. She had been hurt by James and she didn't want the same thing happening to me.

"I guess you could say it like that," he smirked as he pondered over his time knowing her. "She was always over when I was younger... She was there to pick me up from school when I got into trouble. Then the day came when I got suspended from school in my elementary years. James was supposedly at a business meeting and I had no one to get me from the principle's office. So they called her, she came in and picked me up, giving me a lecture on the way back to my house."

"James was caught when she brought you home?" I mumbled looking across at him seeing the first amount of sorrow from him I'd seen in a while. It was like staring into the eyes of an orphaned kid in Africa, but my heart went out to him just a bit more. Harry was letting me in. He was letting me into his mysterious past.

"Yeah," he sat back in his chair, letting a big huff of air escape from his tight lips.

"That must of have been hard growing up not having a mother," I spoke quietly, just barely looking at him. I didn't need to ruin what we had going on at the moment.

"Callie, I have a mother but she gave me up for things you'll never be able to understand," he sighed running his fingers through his thick curls.

"It seems like you don't understand it much either..." I stood up and went to go clean the mess he made in the kitchen earlier.

"...Maybe you're right," he spoke still sitting in the chair.

"At least you have James. He's a good father to you all," I looked over and gave him an encouraging smile.