Chapter 54

"Hey, how are things at the house?" Alaric called me the night Harry left for New York.

"Fine. Minnie is staying at her house with her two cats for the week so it's just me. I don't know when Alex is coming back," I stirred the resting noodles in the boiling water. Cooking myself dinner was the only thing I could do to keep myself from worrying about my newfound family and cleaning my new home.

"She texted me this morning and said she'd be in town Tuesday night."

"Oh good," I mumbled scratching my head.

"Cal?" Alaric's voice became deeper, changing the tone of our conversation to a deeper sensitive level.

"Yeah?" All of the sudden I felt the urge to cry; the pit in my throat suffocating me, like I was Snow White and I bit the apple and I was choking on the poison.

I wasn't ready for this life anymore and I knew it. I was scared of the future and what it possessed. Without Harry to guide me I had nothing. Without his hand on my elbow leading me through my once independent life, I don't know where to go, what to do, who to trust, why to feel the way that I feel. But when he's here it all makes sense to me. I understand why I run out in traffic to stop him! I understand why I have no other friends but him! I understand why his family doesn't give up on him!

"I love you, you know that right?" Alaric muttered.

"Yeah I know. You're a great guy Ric. I love you too," I let some tears fall down my cheeks as I slid down to the floor with my knees up to my chest, my head leaning on the cabinets behind me, and the phone pressed against my ear.

"Everything's going to work out. Whether he's in your life or not. Not everyone who falls in love stays together forever, Cal." The 'he' he was referring to was Harry and it made my heart extremely heavy.

"I know."

I wanted to throw up thinking about me and Harry breaking up. I loved him so much, and even though I'd get so fed up with him sometimes and threaten it against myself. I couldn't imagine it actually happening. When I think of my life now, I think of Harry, Alaric, Minnie, and Alex. Plain and simple. They were the only ones that have stayed with me in darkness and in times of light. And the idea of any of it being ripped away from me is sickening.

"It will all work out."

"We shall see," I sighed and ran my fingers through my roots.

"Alright. Get some sleep kiddo."

"Night."

I sniffed my runny nose and then stood up rushing to turn off the boiling water. After figuring dinner out for myself, I decided I'd call Harry and wish him a goodnight sleep.

Harry's POV

"Yo, Harry Styles!" An old man in a pinstriped suit called my name as I finished my singing lesson and I was walking along the sidewalk back to Manhattan. The weather wasn't as chilly here as it was in Maine, but then again there were more people bustling around here than the 1,000 or so in Turner.

"Sir?" I tucked my head under an awning once I stepped into the street. New York City, the place where dreams are made and people are always watching. Fuck. The old man wore a grey fedora with a green feather attached to the side.

I eyed the old man and he couldn't possibly know me from my family. James doesn't associate himself with his sort of messy illegal richness. He had two guards on either side of him with holsters on their hips. What the fuck does he want with me?

"You've grown up to be quite a man. Quite like your father. You're built like him." The old man smirked and I could smell his expensive cologne filling the street air around us.