112. #50 Corey Crawford (Chicago Blackhawks)

For MrsCoreyCrawford , hope you will like it! :)

~June 21st 2003, Montreal, Quebec, Canada~

It hurt you not being able to be in Nashville with your boyfriend of a year, but as much as you were upset by your parent's choice to forbid you going, you also understood where they were coming from. You are only seventeen and still in school, not to mention you have never been out of province on your own. And to let you travel to States with your boyfriend, who you haven't been with for a long time...it wasn't even an option.

"Pey, come join us, the draft will start soon!"

~~

Your heart shatters when Corey's name doesn't get called in the first round. You know how much he has wanted that, to prove he can be drafted in the first round and to get a burden of possibly being drafted to the NHL off his chest. You do recognize some names, mostly because of your dad, who has been spending evenings analyzing players and future drafts: Marc -Andre Fleury, Eric Stall, Ryan Suter, Jeff Carter, Brent Seabrook, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Marc -Antoine Pouliot, Corey Perry and even two names from foreginers: Thomas Vanek and Nikolay Zherdev.

"I expected Corey to be a first-rounder," your dad comments.

"He is a great goalie, hard working and ready to play in the NHL," he continues, gesturing towards the television screen which s now muted. Your mom hands you a glass of water: "I know he wished to be first-rounder, but he can still make it."

Your mom earns her money by analyzing statistical data for big companies and she can predict pretty much anything what will happen in financial field, but her knowledge doesn't help her much when it comes to hockey. Sure, she can analyze the stats and try to predict, but everything changes with every passing season – new players, some players retire, trades, personal demons, injuries,... even a bad game can change it all and you know every Corey's move has been observed even more carefully during the last season.

"I know he can make it...he has worked so hard to make it that far."

"Where would he like to go?"

You smile slightly at the memory of talking about his future a few days ago: "He wants to stay in Montreal."

"What if he doesn't?"
"He has to. I want to see him happy, but I don't want to be without him..."
"Honey, you are seventeen. You don't have to settle down with him."

"Mooooom, who said anything about settling down?"
"Dearie, let's not jump to conclusions too soon. It's possible Corey will end up playing for the Habs. And a lot can happen."

~~

The next day you gather in front of the TV screen once again to watch second round of the draft. You will not deny how nervous you are. Your nails are nearly non-existent, a consequence of a bad habit of yours – nail biting. Together with your parents you watch the draft, hear some more names from different countries – Sweden, Russia, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Kazahstan, USA, Slovakia and your home country, Canada. And Corey's name still hasn't been called. Until Blackhawks' general manager takes the stage, clearing his throat.

"Chicago Blackhawks proudly selects in second round, 52nd draft pick, from Moncton Wildcats, Corey Crawford."

First thing that pops into your head is how happy and proud you are. He was eighteen and has just been drafted to the NHL, all of his hard work finally paying off. Only then it strikes you – he will have to move to Chicago, away from his home. Away from you. Away from the future you two were imagining if he stayed here, in Quebec.