106. #62 William Nylander (Toronto Maple Leafs)

It was a poisonous relationship. It has always been, but you couldn't stay away from him. Ever since you met him, you were dangerously attracted to each other. You met soon after he was drafted by Maple Leafs and moved to Toronto, starting rushed relationship. Six months into a relationship, you two already took things to a new level. But surprisingly, it worked out for the two of you somehow.

**

You sit on a bench next to a skating rink and watch your boyfriend of three years, Will Nylander, hold your two-year-old son Lucas by his hands. You can't help but smile when you see the miniature version of William laughing and stretching his little arms towards his dad, as Will skates backwards and holds Lucas' little palms.

"Y/N, look! He is a natural!"

You lift your thumbs and smile at the sight of your son and your boyfriend. But your heart was throbbing with heaviness. It wasn't visible on the outside, but recently, Will's and your relationship found itself in the rocky waters. Maybe your early age started catching up to the both of you.

"Momma!"

"Come on, Y/N, your son wants you here," Will is now looking at you, still holding your son's tiny gloved hands. Lucas' bright brown eyes are beaming as he looks at you and calls you again: "Momma?"

"I am coming, sweetie," you smile and tie up your skates. It feels weird, wearing them again after all those years. Somehow, you and Will went skating together only once before you found out you were pregnant. And after Lucas was born, skating was out of question. With a heavy burden on your chest, you join the fair-haired man and his child on the ice and take Lucas' tiny hand into yours. Will takes your other hand in his and gives it a small squeeze.

**

Some time later, you let the boys have their fun. This time, Will decides he should start giving your son skating lessons.

"Don't push him too hard, Will, he is only two!"

"I know that, Y/N," he sighs and rolls eyes before turning to your son: "You ready, buddy?"

"Yeeeees!" his little doppelganger claps his hands and stretches his arms with a little pout: "Help?"

"Of course. Let's make a next NHL caliber player, how does that sound?"

"Like you?"
"Yes, like me. Only better."

Your heart melts when you watch them, William slowly and patiently teaching your son to skate and soon, your precious little gem takes first few shaky strides on his own, his dad always close to catch him.

"Mommy, mommy, I skated!"

"I know, honey, I saw you. I am so proud of you, you were great," you clap and send your boys a little kiss.

"And you have a great teacher," you add a few seconds later, expecting some reaction from William. Nothing, except a micro smile he gives you.

"He does have a talent, doesn't he, Y/N?" Will asks and you look at your son's hopeful big eyes. Slowly, you nod: "He is a natural. And he will play in a great league, just like his dad."

"I want play in Toronto. Like dad."

"Maple Leafs will lose so much if they don't draft you."

"Now we just have to find you a stick. Don't worry, I will give you one of mine."

The joy on your son's face and pride on your boyfriend's face make you smile. You have never thought such a little thing as teaching son to skate can bring so much joy to William and it warms up your heart. Even though things between Will and you are not really pleasant at the moment, your son is one thing that can make you feel smile and feel connected again.