86. #71 Dylan Larkin (Detroit Red Wings)

After being drafted by Detroit Red Wings, Dylan's parents brought him a little canary as a gift and also as something he can look at when feeling homesick. His brother, Colin, also gave him a rabbit, another reminder of home. And those two animals were something that held special place in Dylan's new apartment and his heart.

~Dylan's POV~

Whenever I get home from either practice or a game or maybe just hanging out with fellow teammates, I check on Cheepy, my canary and Col, my rabbit. I know, I named my rabbit after my older brother, who actually gave the rabbit as a gift, but I don't regret doing so. Not only Colin gave me a bunny rabbit, which is his doe's baby, but also spent his money on bunny's cage and everything needed. So when I got Col, she has already had everything.

"Hey, bud," I greet Cheepy before kneeling to Col's cage.

"Col, where are you, girl? I am home."

Whenever she hears me calling her, she normally comes from wherever she is hiding, but not today. Today she doesn't respond to my voice.

"Col? Colly, where are you?"

I get up and head to the kitchen, where I have stored both animals' food and take a bit of her food. I open the cage and place the bowl, expecting her to come out right away, but she doesn't. And that makes me even more concerned. Now I remove her house to see her laying nearly motionlessly on a hay. My heart breaks at the sight of my fluffy pet and how her chest moves nearly invisibly as she breaths. My hands shake as I take her in my lap and pet her soft fur. I don't even realize I am crying until two tears fall on Colly: "What is wrong, Col? I will get you help, I promise, baby, just stay with me."

I don't know how I made it to the vet's office, all I know is that her breathing got shallower and her eyes look even more lifeless.

"Welcome," a girl behind the counter smiles before I even realize she is looking at me.

"May I help you?"

"M-My bu-bunny... she was m-my brother's g-gift w-when I-I mov-ved he-ere."

"We'll take care of her right away," she puts on a professional smile and hurries to another door on which there is a brassy sign. She disappears to the office for a second. When she comes back, she brings an elderly-looking man with her.

"Grandpa, this is mister..."
"Larkin. Dylan Larkin," I introduce myself, my voice slightly breaking.

"How can I help you, Mr. Larkin?"

"M-My bun-ny is s-sick..."

"I'll take care of her, she is in good hands," he gently takes Col out of my hands and carries her inside. I want to follow him, but the girl stops me: "I am sorry, you can't go in just yet. I will have to ask you to fill out the papers for our records."

"O-okay."

She hands me a paper and a pen, her smile still resting on her cheeks. Only now when I know Col is in good hands, I notice how cute she is. Her H/C hair is clipped into a ponytail, but there are still few locks of her hair, rounding her face.

"How did you get this job?" I ask her as I hand her back a filled out form. She looks up from the computer: "Well, the vet is actually my grandpa and he is not as young as he used to be. Plus, I like animals, I grew up on a farm before moving here to help him."
"So you are not from Detroit?"

"Nope, I am from Texas. Well, originally, my mom is from Detroit, but she moved to Texas when she got married."
"I am from..."
"Michigan."
"How did you know?" I ask her, surprised beyond belief. She gives me a small smile: "Everyone here knows the Dylan Larkin. You though I would not recognize you because I am a girl?"
"Of course not...uh, usually girls barely talk to me properly because of hockey and everything."