4. #9 Matt Duchene (Colorado Avalanche)

You were born in Ontario, Canada and you loved playing pond hockey with boys. Matt Duchene was even your neighbor and you two used to spend every hour you had on a pond, skating during the winter and chasing little ducklings during the summer. You used to go to the city every day with your bikes and used to sit on his family house's porch, discussing future.
Many years later you went to the same school, took the same classes, even hanged out with the same people and were practically inseparable. When others called you a couple, you laughed at them, but even back then you wanted it to be true.
Now even more years had passed and you lived in San Francisco, arranging your upcoming wedding with a man you liked, but not as much as you liked Matt. To many people it seemed weird to see a young girl as you were arranging a wedding. The truth was, you finished your university at the age of 22 and you were already employed as the leading programmer in the biggest software company. Actually, every credit for making you a programming fan, went to Matt. You remembered countless nights when your parents had had yet another argument, you father yelling at your mom and usually storming upstairs with a bottle of whiskey. At those times, you sneaked out and went to Matt, with whom you played videogames all night long or tried to hack someone's computer. Of course, at those nights when the next morning did not require early wake up.
Remembering those sweet memories of your childhood, you sighed deeply: "How I wish Matt had time to come to my wedding."

~~
Few months later, you were nervously walking up and down your apartment, waiting for a limo to pick you up. Your co-worker, who was also your bridesmaid, was looking at you: "What the hell is wrong with you?"
"I am nervous."
"So why are you keep looking at your phone?"
You stopped on spot, gulping hard, because you had no idea you had been doing that all along.
"I am not," you objected and threw your phone on a bed. In a next second, its screen lighted up. You jumped forward, but your co-worker was faster.
"Who is Matt Duchene?"
"A friend of mine. Childhood friend. And a hockey player."
"And this has to do with your wedding how?"
"I invited him. But I am sure he won't have time to fly all the way from Montreal."
She threw the phone back to you: "Are you sure?"
You look down at the screen where was Matt's response: "Count me in!:)"
He confirmed! Excited to see your old friend again, you started squealing. Your bridesmaid shot an angry glance at you, rolled her eyes and then left you alone with your excitement.

~~
The time came for you to walk down the aisle and marry a guy, who may not be your long-lasting crush, but it's still a great person. You couldn't stop yourself from looking around, looking for Matt, who was nowhere to be seen. He promised you he'd be there. He promised you. And Matt always kept his promises.
"Come on, Matt, where are you?" you mumbled to yourself, nervously fighting the urge to run back to your room and call him. But when you saw glimmering eyes of your husband-to-be, you realized you couldn't do that to him. So you continued your way down the aisle. Your fiancé took your palms in his and the ceremony begun. The whole room was quiet, until that part when a priest asked whether anyone had anything against our marriage. After few minutes of silence, door opened loudly and Matt stomped in: "I have!"
Your hands flew from your boyfriend's grip to your mouth as you kept looking Matt coming towards you. He stopped right in front of you and said loudly: "Y/N, I don't know how to say it. I love you. I've loved you since we were kids and never stopped loving you."
"Matt...why you've been waiting for so long?"
"I decided the best thing to do it, is to crash your wedding. I thought I was too late," he said in a quieter voice, suddenly looking like an embarrassed sixteen-year-old.
You looked at your boyfriend, who had obviously already realized where everything lead and he hugged you: "Thank you for the best six years of my life. But I know I  am not the one you truly love. Y/N, I wish you all the best."
Two small tears slipped down your cheeks when you hugged him back, whispering final goodbye and apologizing to him. Then you turned to Matt, who stood there, his hand in a pocket of his tux. When his gaze met yours, he wasted no time. He pulled you in the most gentle hug ever and kissed your eyelids, your cheeks and finally, planted a passionate kiss on your lips. Without hesitating, you kissed him back, happy to finally be with the only guy you've ever loved.

For MrsMattDuchene , hope you like it:)