99. #8 Drew Doughty (LA Kings)

~1 DAY AGO; DREW'S POV~

After not reaching Y/N on the phone before the game, I decide to call her again before bed. Now she has to pick up, after all, I know Craig is already in bed and she is probably resting after a long day. But I am afraid she won't be happy to hear what I have to say...

Before the worst scenario can play out in my head, she picks up the phone. Her sleepy voice brings smile to my face and I can picture her in my, now hers, Guelph Storm jersey from more than 10 years ago when I played for them.

"Drew? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, just wanted to hear your voice. Did I wake you?"

"No, I was just getting ready for bed. Carter didn't want to fall asleep...he misses you, Drew."

"I know, honey. I miss both of you."
"Are you going to be able to catch the game tomorrow? You know how much Carter wishes to see you at his game."

"I know... We are leaving early tomorrow and I hope I will be able to catch the game."
"Please. He would be over the moon. Oh, how was the game?"

"You didn't watch it?"

"I was at Carter's practice. I was tracking the score..."

"How's Carter doing?"

"He misses you. And if you are asking about hockey, he is improving. Coach is even thinking of making him the first liner for tomorrow's game."
Hearing that, a huge smile appears on my face. I remember the last time I spoke to his coach... he told me, with a decent amount of sadness in his voice, that Carter is barely good enough to be a fourth liner. And now my kid might even get a chance to start on the first line. I wish I was there to see the game, but I am afraid that won't happen. I don't want to let Y/N down, but I really don't know if I will catch the game tomorrow...

"Drew? Are you there?"

"Yeah, sorry. I...was thinking."

"No problem. You will see your blood play tomorrow, so you will see how good he has become."
"I can't wait to see you both."

"We miss you too, Drew. And we are excited for you to come back."

The thing with away games is...you miss your family like crazy. I have missed so many birthdays, important games and even anniversaries because of the long trips, but I am glad to have such an amazing wife to stand by my side no matter what. Before answering, I look at my bed, where I have a Chopard jewelry box. I know, she said I don't need to bring her anything, that's enough when I come back home, but she deals with so many things when I am away...

"Drew? Are you ignoring me?"

"Huh? No, not at all. Just zoned out again... I should go to bed..."
"Yeah, me too. Today has been insane. See you tomorrow at the game then?"

"Yes, see you tomorrow. Can't wait to see you both."

The line goes dead and I drop the phone on the bed. She sounds so happy I will be home for the game...so excited. And I know Carter can't wait to see me on the stands. How could I tell her I might not be able to make it?

~~

The next day, Y/N tries to get Drew on the phone. Just to talk to their son before the game, calm him down and give him some words of encouragement. But it appears the phone is turned off. Of course, they have to board the plane, but she thought he would at least text her.

"Mommy, is dad coming to the game?"

"Of course, honey, he will be there. I know he wouldn't miss your game."
"But he has missed so many of them already. Does he still like me?"
"Carter, your dad adores you. But you know he is on the road a lot..."