44. #27 Alex Galchenyuk (Montreal Canadiens)

For @hockeygirl225,hope you'll like it. I must admit, I really enjoyed writing it and I really, really hope you'll like it!:)

"Y/N, pass the goddamn puck!" you hear coach Michel Therrien yell from the bench.
"Y/N/N, watch out!" your teammates are yelling on the bench, but something makes you ignore them. Probably the burning desire in you to prove yourself worth playing in the NHL. And that includes scoring your first NHL goal.

You are so close to opponent's goal, you start thinking how to trick their goalie. Bringing your stick back, you prepare to snipe it right behind his back, but one of the opponents steals a cold rubber right from your stick.

"God damn it!" you slam your stick on the ice in frustration. Not to mention, you can't even look at your bench. Somehow you know what will you see: coach glaring daggers at you and few of the guys who have the most faith in you shaking their heads.

"Stop standing there, Y/N and start skating!" coach yells and you can nearly imagine him smacking glass behind him.

You skate to your zone and try to help your teammates prevent the opposing players from scoring. No matter how hard you try, the puck ends behind Price's back, tying the game. You feel angry glances burning your skin through the gear and you know all of the guys are blaming you.

As soon as you get into a locker room during the intermission, the entire room sinks into a silence, all of your teammates' gazes on you.

"What were you doing out there?" Nathan Beaulieu asks quietly. You can't look at him, at his eyes, so you just shrug your shoulders: "I don't know."
"You could've passed to me," Max Pacioretty says, looking at you. You like him, he supports you no matter what and now you know you've let him down. And that hurts.

"Sorry, Max," you mutter quietly, the rest of your sentence cut by a loud thump, coming from the entrance. Gulping hard, you look over your shoulder.

"Can you tell me, what the hell was that?! Why didn't you even bother passing? Max was open!" coach shouts at you while the entire team is quiet and looking down at their feet.

"I-I wanted to prove myself," you whisper, your eyes on coach.

"Well, you failed. And they scored because of your wish to prove yourself!" he points his hand in the direction of the ice.

His voice gets even eerier as he leans down to you: "Tell me again, why did we draft you in the first place?"

You look down in a desperate wish to find any words and silently hope some guys would stand up for you. in this moment Max proves, why he is the right choice for a captain as he says in a quiet, yet stern voice: "That was too harsh, coach. Y/N did what we all did while playing our first season. She wanted to prove herself worthy. She didn't do anything wrong..."

"Tell that to a score board!"
"Come on, coach, you can't put the entire blame on her," Carey Price says from his stall and when coach looks at him continues: "She was not in the net."

"Thank god she isn't a goaltender!"

His words pull the entire room into silence again. In that silence, coach looks at Max: "She wasted a great chance. Any one of you could've scored..."
All this time Alex Galchenyuk, your first friend on a team, was quiet, but now he speaks up: "She can get it back coach. And it's not necessary anyone of us would score."
"Do you realize what have you just said?"
"I do. She can get it back. And she will get it back."

Coach looks at him and you see Alex nervously lick his lip: "Standing up for her, eh, Galchenyuk? Can't see your girl being yelled at?"

Alex's cheeks turn a bit pink: "No, coach. I just think you can't give her so much hard time."