Saying Goodbye

Chapter 21

~Emma's POV~

I glanced at the clock right before I finished packing the last of my things into my bag. 3:00. Just seven more hours til I'd be leaving my home for two months. And my best friend.

I decided last night that I would try to talk to Jazmen before I left today to see if we could work things out. The only thing I can't do before I leave is not talk to her at all. I just cant go off for two months knowing she hates me. I cant blame her though. What I did was wrong and I know that but I was only trying to protect her. I just hate seeing her upset or mad.

I glanced at the clock a few more times just to make sure it didn't suddenly jump ahead to 10:00.

I heard the sound of the door slamming shut when I realized it was probably my mom coming home from work. She said she wanted to come home early today so she could be here to say goodbye to me tonight.

"Em? Where are you?" She called from the bottom of the stairs.

"In my room!" I shouted back.

I grabbed my phone and headed downstairs to leave to see Jazmen. When I reached the bottom of the stairs the first thing I saw was my mom-- or half of my mom. Her entire chest to her head was covered with grocery bags.

"Uh.. mom?"

"Oh thank God. Honey, come over here and help me out with these please," she managed to say, almost falling a few times.

I rushed over to her and took two bags out of her way and plopped them down on the floor.

"Gotta go, bye." 

"Woah, woah, woah. Where are you off to?" She breathed heavily.

"Going to Jazmens." I answered, my hand on the door knob.

"Uh, okay but be back for dinner, okay? Your dads coming home early and making lasagna."

Lasagna being my favorite food, my mom always had dad make it before I left for something. Usually for camp or something but I guess she figures its best to have a good meal and a little family time before not seeing each other for a while.

I quickly nodded then bolted out the door, trying to avoid her calling me back in, which luckily, she didn't.

Before I knew it I was on Jazmens porch, my hand right by the door ready to knock but it just-- wouldn't work.

I tried multiple hands to bring my hand closer and manage a small knock but not a muscle dared to move. I lowered my hand down slowly, wondering if this was even the right thing to do. What if she doesn't even want to talk? What if I already lost her? I cant even imagine losing her, and maybe if I already did I could win her back.

I raised my hand up again and this time, I knocked.

A few seconds later Jazmen showed up at the door, her eyes soaked in tears and her cheeks flushed red.

"W-whats-- whats wrong...?" I was afraid for a second it was because of me.

She just shook her head, not wanting to talk about it.

"What do you want." She made it sound more like a statement than a question.

"Jazz, I just wanted to apologize... but, whats wrong..? Please tell me. And if it was because of me I'm sorry, okay? I never meant for it to hurt you and I know it was wrong of me to not tell you I was leaving until yesterday but I just really wanna talk about it and if you'll just let me I swear I never meant for you to cry."