chapter thirty five

A couple weeks had gone by since Ethan proposed, and life has gone by as normal. Ethan and Nina both went to work all day, then hung out at night.

     Tomorrow was Maddi's birthday, so Ethan decided to go to the mall after work and buy her a present. He had already boughten her and Thomas something before going to see Grayson, but he also wanted to get her a birthday gift.

     Ethan's shift was nearly over. It had been a slow day, yet again. He sat in his black spinny chair with his hands behind his head. He watched the seconds tick by on the large clock that hung on the wall opposite his desk until finally, Ethan's day at the office was over.

     He packed up all his belongings, and left his office. "See ya later, Tony." Ethan said as he walked past his boss' office. He didn't stick around to chat though as he continued walking towards the elevator, and went down.

     Ethan left the building, and walked over to his motorcycle. He shoved his bag into the trunk and put his helmet on.

     Ethan started driving to the mall, but traffic was heavy so he didn't get there that fast. Eventually, he made it into the parking lot. Ethan found a spot and parked his bike. He headed inside, and started making his way to Toys R Us.

     "What do you get a three year old?" Ethan mumbled to himself as he started walking up and down all the aisles in the store. He was currently in the doll aisle, and saw some disney princess dolls. They were large, and kind of looked like babies.

     Ethan knew Maddi liked playing with dolls, but he decided to text Grayson and ask if this was a good gift for her. He replied quickly, saying it was good.

     After Ethan shoved his phone back into his pocket, he grabbed one of the dolls. It was a Moana doll, from the newest princess movie.

     Ethan walked to the checkout, and paid for the doll. He left the store and started heading to American Eagle. He went into the store, not seeing Nina anywhere. Ethan decided to walk up to the counter, where a cashier wasn't busy with anything.

     "Hey, is Nina here?" Ethan asked.

     "No, she left a couple minutes ago. Are you Ethan?" The lady asked, turning her full attention to Ethan.

     "Yeah, that's me." He smiled.

     "Nina talks about you a lot."

     "In a good way, I hope."

     The cashier laughed. "Of course." She replied.

     "Yeah. Anyways, I've gotta go." Ethan said, and left the store before the lady could say anything else.

     Ethan started walkng to the food court to pick up some dinner before heading home. He got in line for taco bell, and saw Nina sitting at a table with a drink in front of her and her phone in her hand.

     She didn't seem to notice Ethan as she stared at her phone. He pulled out his own phone and decided to text her, asking her if she was done work.

Nina replied almost instantly saying she was in the food court grabbing some food, then was going to head home.

     Ethan smiled widely at her response. He knew he could trust Nina, he just wanted to surprise her. It was Ethan's turn to order, and waited impatiently for his food. He didn't want Nina to leave.

     As Ethan waited, two guys walked up the Nina. One sat down in the chair across from her, while the other pulled up a chair from a different table. Ethan couldn't hear what they were saying, but his fist clenched at his side. Nina looked extremely uncomfortable as she glanced between the two men. They'd occasionally look at each other, and laugh.

     Ethan's food was done, and he grabbed the bag. He walked over to Nina's table, and cleared his throat. A large smile of relief spread across Nina's face as she looked up. The two men turned around to look at Ethan.

     "Who are you, big guy?" The one sitting directly across from Nina asked.

     "Uh, her fiancé." Ethan replied. Nina's smile hadn't faltered as both the men scrambled up. They mumbled something like "sorry" and "no harm done" as they walked away.

     Ethan sat down across from Nina and set his taco bell bag on the table. He set the Toys R Us bag on the floor beside his chair. Nina took his hands, and he couldn't help but stare down at her engagement ring.

     "That's a pretty big rock, eh?" Ethan asked, a cocky smirk spreading across his face.

     "Thank you." Nina said quietly.

     "For what? The rock, or getting rid of those guys?"

     "Honestly, both." Nina replied. Ethan chuckled as Nina pulled her hands away.

     "Do you want a taco?" Ethan asked as he started pulling his food out of the bag.

     "Sure." Nina took one of the soft tacos that Ethan had. They both unwrapped their tacos, and started eating.

____________

There's only a couple chapters left in this book but I have major writers block ughhhh