chapter six

Nina and Ethan sat in silence for a while, both thinking about the secret that had just been spilled.

     "When was the last time you saw him?" Nina asked, finally breaking the somewhat uncomfortable silence that had fallen.

     "Since we were...nineteen. He went off to university in some other state, while I went to college." Ethan replied, thinking about how long it's actually been.

     "That's ten years, Ethan."

     "Yeah. hardest ten years of my life." The man mumbled as he ordered another drink.

     "Why don't you call him, or go visit him?" Nina suggested, but Ethan was quick to shake his head.

     "He wouldn't wanna see me like this. I wouldn't even wanna see him with me like this. I'm a mess, Nina. He's got his life all tied up in a cute bow though. He's been married for...I think five years. He has a baby girl. It's just better if he doesn't see me."

     "He's married? Did you not go to the wedding?" Nina asked, scrunching up her eyebrows.

     Ethan laughed shortly through his nose. "Yeah, and that's one of my biggest regrets. I told him I wouldn't be able to make it because I was out of town for work, but the truth is I just sat in my apartment, drinking the weekend away." Ethan explained.

     Nina sighed softly. "I think you should call him. He's your brother, after all. He'll accept you."

     "My twin brother, at that." Ethan mumbled. Nina somehow still heard him over the noise of the bar.

     "Even better. You guys sounded really close, so restore that. You deserve to know your neice, and your sister in law. Just look him up in the phone book, and call him." Nina said. Her eyebrows were now furrowed, with a sad expression on her face.

     "It's been too long, Nina." Ethan replied as he took a sip of his drink.

     "It's never too long or too late for family." Nina shot back. "You can start by sobering up. Babies hate the smell of alcohol." She said as she took the glass away from the man.

" She said as she took the glass away from the man