chapter 56

Rachel rolled over and she felt every bone in her body protest. Her body still hummed with the feeling of Finn surrounding her, filling her and loving her. She turned her head to see the alarm clock beside the bed. It was only eight at night, but it might as well have been midnight, with how tired she was. 

She felt Finn stir beside her and in that moment, their eyes locked. They exchanged an awkward smile, but that completely dissipated when Finn pulled her to him and kissed her breathless. 

“Hey sleepyhead,” Finn teased. 

“Sleepyhead? I wasn’t the only one that passed out,” Rachel retorted with a roll of her eyes. 

Finn simply laughed and reveled in the feel of her soft body against his. This was the way it was always supposed to be, he thought. 

“Finn, can we talk about something?” Rachel queried lightly. 

“If it’s nothing serious, then yes,” he answered sleepily. Boy that seriously wore him out, he needed more practice and was just about to roll over and do so, but Rachel's palm against his chest stopped him. 

“It’s serious, and we need to talk about it.” He sighed and decided he wasn’t getting anywhere until they talked. 

“I know you said that you would give it all up and you’ve shown me that you would, but what about basketball?” Rachel asked. 

“Rachel, we went over this already. I told you it's still important to me but not as important as you.” Finn kissed her cheek softly before looking back at her. 

“I know that, but I don’t' want to you give it up.” 

“What are you talking about?” He pulled away confused. Was she pushing him away now? God, he would die if she did. He now knew what the sinking feeling inside the pit of your stomach felt like. 

“I'm saying that I would be okay if you went back to play. I would go with you when I could and stay home when I can't,” Rachel began to explain. 

“No, Rachel. I'm going to finish out this year's contract and then I'm taking an extended vacation.” Finn finished quickly. 

“Extended? And how long is that?” Rachel leaned up on her elbow and eyed him suspiciously. 

“Rachel, let's just not talk about that. We could be doing other things,” he began to roll her back down but she stopped him once again. 

“We have to Finn. I don't want you to give it up. Not for me, not for anyone.” Rachel pleaded with him to understand her. 

“But...I thought you wanted to try again. I want to do this, Rachel. I'm not just saying for the hell of it.” Finn explained honestly. 

“I know that. And I mean it. I love Atlanta, but I love you more. So, how about a compromise?” Rachel began. 

“Compromise?” 

“Yeah.” 

“What does that involve? But I’m telling you Rachel, if it means that I have to be away from you. I'm not doing it and...” Rachel silenced him with a fingertip against his lips. 

“Finn, shut up and listen.” She smiled coyly at him. 

“Boy since when did you get so bossy?” he teased and she rolled her eyes. 

“I'm saying you're going to finish out your contract. So during that time, you'll come to see me or I'll come to see you.” 

“Rach,” he began to protest. 

“Let me finish. Then Finn, I'm going to go with you. I can do my job on the road, besides I've been thinking of opening my own business. I want to be with you...but I've seen you Finn. I've seen your face and I can't let you throw it all away. We can do it together this time. I'll get to sit on the sidelines and be your cheerleader like I wanted to for years. I want you to come home with me, or to the hotel. Wherever you are I want to be.” Rachel finished with tears slipping down the corners of her eyes. 

He couldn't believe it she was just so amazing. His love for her grew at that moment and he felt as though he was living a dream. It was his dream come true, but he wouldn’t let her sacrifice hers. He would make sure that she was happy every single day of her life. He swore he would. 

“So, this is what it would have been like then,” he finished sadly. 

“Don't Finn. That's the past and I'm done living in it.” He pulled her into his arms and they kissed. Their mutual tears mingling and their hearts healing. 

Finn felt the moment her kisses began to change, they grew more demanding. The next thing he knew she was straddling his waist and kissing his exposed chest. But there was something he needed to say, something he wanted to tell her. 

“I meant what I said,” he started and waited until her eyes met him. 

“And what’s that Finn?” she asked softly, leaning her forehead against his. 

“You're my forever, Rachel.” She smiled and fresh tears stung her eyes. 

“And I'm yours, Finn.” In that moment their lips touched and their bodies joined. They loved each other that night, making up for all the moments they missed. Silently vowing to one another, that they would never be apart again.