chapter 15

“I think this color would be great, Maria.” Rachel was getting tired. It was almost an hour later and she couldn’t even get Maria to agree on a color pattern. She had first tried to get Maria to choose a design, but Maria had said there were just too many choices. So Rachel decided it would be better to maybe start with a color that way Maria could envision what it would look like. But that wasn’t working either. 

“I don’t think Michael will like it, and he’s just so difficult Rachel. You know that.” Rachel looked at Maria giving her the, “and you’re not difficult” look. “Don’t look at me like that. You know we have been arguing about this for weeks and it’s driving me crazy.” Rachel understood Maria’s dilemma, but if they didn’t pick out something soon she would make every room white and not care one single bit. 

“Maria, what you need to do is make a decision. I can’t be here for a year helping you. You are my best friend and I love you, but if you don’t decide I will be forced quit. And I am not a quitter Maria.” Rachel stated firmly making her way into the kitchen for a cold drink. 

“Oh, you’re not a quitter?” Maria questioned following behind her into the kitchen. 

“No. I don’t quit. I follow through with everything.” 

“Everything?” Maria, raised her eyebrow in question. 

“Everything. And what the fuck is up with repeating every last word I say? Did you visit the pet store too many times this week? I told you to stay away from the parakeets, do you not listen to anything I say?” Rachel sighed dramatically while rolling her eyes. 

“Ha, ha. Aren’t you the comedian? So let me ask you something Rachel?” Maria settled at the cluttered kitchen table waiting for Rachel to join her. Rachel crossed the room and took a seat next to her friend. 

“Go ahead.” 

“If you’re not a quitter, then what do you call what you did with Finn?” Maria knew she was hitting a sore spot, but she knew that her friend needed to face the reality of her feelings. 

“Excuse me? What I did with Finn? Don’t you think you have it wrong? He left me. He broke up with me. I didn’t tell him to do it, I…” Rachel  didn’t and wouldn’t break down. Why was Maria pushing the issue so much? Why couldn’t she leave the past dead and buried? 

“I know you didn’t. But he’s here now Rach and you won’t give him a chance.” 

“You know Maria, you’re right. Let me think about this for a minute.” Rachel sat back and crossed her arms over her chest, and pretended to ponder the situation. 

“Oh I got it! That’s because he doesn’t fucking deserve it! He got his fame, his fortune and I’m sure he has an entire harem of girls waiting to take him to bed. So I’m sorry if I don’t see how I fit into his life, if I were to give him a chance. But let’s not forget the major issue here.” 

“Which is?” Maria was lost. She knew that Rachel was hurt, but she was allowing the hurt to cloud her real feelings. Maria knew without a doubt that Finn and Rachel belonged together. They were just too stubborn to realize it. 

“Which is. We are too different. I don’t even know him Maria. It’s like he’s this acquaintance. How is that possible? We used to share everything…everything. And now, I don’t even know what television shows he watches or if he still snores lightly in his sleep, or if he still whispers out my name while he’s dreaming or…” Rachel trailed off when she realized she had said too much. 

“I knew it!” Maria said triumphantly. 

“Knew what?!” Michael swings open the back door with Finn trailing behind him.