chapter 6

Rachel leisurely strolled down Roswell’s main drag. It was a beautiful Thursday afternoon, and after having lunch with her parents, she decided to do a little shopping. Maybe pick up a few things to work into her design for Michael and Maria’s house. 

So far, everything had gone fairly smoothly. Almost the entire house had been painted, most of the furniture and tables had been picked out, the only thing left to do was the livingroom. 

Rachel hadn’t anticipated this project being as hard as it had turned out to be. She thought that working for celebrities was going to be tough, she was sorely mistaken. Her last client was a walk in the park compared to working with Maria and Michael. 

Rachel still marveled at the fact that those two were still together. They disagreed on absolutely every idea rachel had for the house. The master bedroom alone took almost a whole month to finish. 

Thankfully, everything was coming together, and the house would shortly be done. Earlier that day, rachel and Maria had taken a trip to Home Depot and finalized the color choice. They’d finally decided on a light beige color- something warm and inviting, but nothing too girly, otherwise Michael would throw another temper-tantrum. Not that rachel wasn’t still anticipating him having one, but one could hope. 

As she walked back towards her car, she looked across the street, stopping abruptly. She let out a long, shaky breath, before squaring her shoulders and crossing the street. She was determined to face this place, and not let it get to her. 

As she walked deeper into the park, she headed directly towards the basketball court. She took long, purposeful strides until she came to her destination. She set her shopping bags down on the ground, next to the tree truck, before folding herself down, leaning back against the tree... the exact tree she had been sitting against the day she met finn. 

She slowly swept her gaze over the whole park, feeling as though she has been transported back in time, as everything looked exactly the same. 

Her eyes finally settled on the basketball court, watching as two teenage boys warmed up for what looked like a one-on-one game. 

She took a deep breath, looking down and playing with the hem on her knee-length skirt. She hated that she still had feelings for finn. She cursed him everyday for making her fall in love with him, and then leaving her. 

She felt tears stinging at her eyes, and she quickly muttered a few curses before willing them to go away. She made a promise to herself a long time ago, that no matter what, she would never shed another tear over Finn hudson. He wasn’t worth it, and she wouldn’t let herself forget that. 

She was broken out of her thoughts by the shrill ringing of her cell phone. She quickly reached over and rummaged through her purse, finding the phone and checking the caller ID. 

A smile tugged at the corners of her lips as she looked at the display window. She flipped open her phone, before bringing it up to her ear. “Hey!” 

“What’s up bitch?!” Renae yelled into the phone, laughing. 

Rachel laughed, her previous bad mood already gone. “Oh, you know. Same shit, different day.” rachel replied, cradling the phone between her shoulder and her ear, picking at her nails. “How’s everything going back there?” 

“Fine, nothing new to report.” Renae said. “When are you coming home?” 

Rachel sighed. “I don’t know, Nae. You have no idea how hard it is to work with Michael and Maria... I swear, if they have one more argument about where they want the couch... I’m going to have to kill them both myself.”