chapter 5

To help break the tension, Maria decided to call Isabel and Alex over for dinner. Michael was already out back firing up the barbeque and as soon as Alex arrived, he greeted rachel and made his way into the backyard to join Michael.

The girls were currently standing in the kitchen gathering the rest of the food to take outside. Isabel had been very uncertain when Maria called her to come over. It wasn't because her and rachel weren't friends, it was mainly because Isabel knew what Maria and her had planned for Finn and Rachel, and a part of her was terrified that things would blow up in their faces.

"So, Isabel are you enjoying your new home?" rachel said still trying to distract her mind from screaming at her that she was in the room with Finn's sister. She was trying desperately not to think of him, and here was a tall, blonde, glaring reminder of him. Rachel loved Isabel; they had always been close. Never as close as her and Maria, but close enough. When the breakup came, Isabel was one of the first people to call her and make sure she was okay. Rachel if it weren't for having these two women in her life, she wouldn't have made it through that.

"Yes, we are. I just never knew how much work went into it though. Slowly but surely we're getting things done and maybe you can offer your services for a few of our rooms?" She glanced at Rachel hopefully. Isabel knew that it hurt Rachel to look at her; she knew she was a huge reminder of finn, but was thankful that Rachel looked past that and didn't hold any grudges.

"Of course! You don't even have to ask, I was going to offer anyway." rachel smiled and Maria announced that the men were hungry so they needed to hurry up.

"Oh all right! Damn, they act like they haven't eaten at all today." Isabel said while following Maria and rachel outside.

A few minutes later, Michael and Maria were arguing about what to cook first, while Isabel and Alex acted as referees. Rachel just sat back on her lounge chair with her eyes closed. No matter how hard she tried she couldn't escape her thoughts of finn. It was like being back in Roswell opened a floodgate to her heart. She just wished it would close shut already.

Isabel turned to Rachel and saw her lying back with her eyes closed. Isabel knew exactly what Rachel was thinking about, or rather who she was thinking about. It was many years ago, but Isabel will never forget the look on her brother's face when he told her the news.

"finn, what's wrong? Is rachel okay?" Isabel said taking a seat next to her brother on the edge of his bed. He had just gotten home and she could tell something was upsetting him.

"No, she's not Iz. I don't know if she will ever be." He answered her sadly.

"What? Why?" Isabel was starting to get worried, what did he mean?

"I...I broke up with her." She saw his head drop and she resisted the urge to slap him in the back of the head.

"Why would you do that? I don't understand. You love her, right?"

"Yes! Of course I love her!"

"Then why?"

"I had to do it Isabel. I can't explain it right now, but she'll understand later on."

After a few minutes to trying to pry information out of him she gave up and called Rachel, telling her how sorry she was. From the moment Rachel picked up the phone, Isabel knew it would be a long time before Rachel got over her brother, if ever.

"I can't believe he did this to you rach. I mean, what the hell is he thinking? You guys are supposed to be together forever and he just threw it all away." Isabel said pulling Rachel into a tight embrace as soon as she arrived at her house the next day.

"I'm okay Isabel, really. Just thank you for being here. I mean, I know he's your brother and..."

"And nothing rach! You're my friend and he hurt you and I'm so sorry. I wish I could make him change his mind but..."

"He's stubborn Isabel, just like you. He's already made up his mind and if I can't change it, no one can." rachel smiled sadly at her ex's sister. Isabel stayed with her the entire day and they just talked about whatever Rachel wanted, until Maria arrived after work. All three girls sat up the entire night talking about everything and anything until rachel finally fell asleep.

At that moment Isabel's heart broke for rachel. She knew how much rachel loved her brother, and she hoped that one day they would find their way back to each other and the love the had.

That's why Isabel and Maria were more than determined to set things straight. They knew that rachel missed finn just as much as he missed her. The only problem was trying to convince the both of them of that fact.